Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Visualizing PG-HQ's data
08-14-2013, 06:49 PM,
Visualizing PG-HQ's data
After dragging my feet for... too long, I have gone and fixed the Coverage Completion chart:

[Image: coverageTrendsGraph.png]

This took so long because the graphing library driving that chart was completely rebuilt and improved by the author (who is not me, clearly), and that meant fixing the chart would require refactoring my own plugin interface code.

Anyways, that's done and it is now running properly.

While I'm on the subject, and while the depths of that library are still fresh in my brain, I'm curious if anyone has opinions on what else we should graphilate here at PG-HQ?

Membership growth?

Personal shared play win-loss ratio?

Player rank?

Personal collection completion coverage? (that might be too depressing for most of us Big Grin )

What do you think?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-14-2013, 07:43 PM,
RE: Visualizing PG-HQ's data
Well Shad,

Not being overly into stats myself (ahem !), I think you should graphalise anything you fancy. Some of them would be quite fun to look at.
08-14-2013, 10:31 PM,
Quote:What do you think?

Shad,

Stats are nice, but if you are looking for where you should put your limited development efforts, I would vote for figuring out some way to record campaigns as well as some sort of leader inventory by game to complement the unit manifest you have for the scenarios.
08-14-2013, 10:40 PM,
Alan, if you select Player Tools --> Impartial Leader Selector --> Desert Rats (as an example), and then click List All DeRa Leaders located on the top right, this may be what you're looking for,

I do agree entering a campaign would be fun but what I really want to see is to be able to insert pictures into AARs.
08-15-2013, 12:10 AM,
Well, it might be that Alan, Daniel and I are the only ones to really venture into the campaigns but I have to agree that these are the most significant part of the PG universe that does not have a home on PG-HQ (except for the two Cassino and one King's Officers "scenarios" that are multi-day campaigns). As the campaigns will vary considerably from play to play the format is obviously substantially different from the individual scenario items. I am finding, however, that the opportunity to shape the battles gives one more of an operational context for the battles and requires one to actually husband one's forces far more than in a typical scenario.

Since I tend to be far less capable from a technical standpoint, the pictures aren't as much a draw for me, however, I realize that I am somewhat of a Luddite in this area...
No "minor" country left behind...
08-15-2013, 12:32 AM,
(08-14-2013, 10:31 PM)campsawyer Wrote: if you are looking for where you should put your limited development efforts

I expected someone to bring this up, but not you! Tongue Surely a fellow programmer understands the appeal of doing some additional work while the libraries are still fresh in the head? Smile Seems a waste to immediately re-archive all of that chart knowledge...
08-15-2013, 02:40 AM,
Shad, were the forecasts based solely on a trend analysis of the Coverage Percentage?
08-15-2013, 03:20 AM,
(08-15-2013, 12:32 AM)Shad Wrote:
(08-14-2013, 10:31 PM)campsawyer Wrote: if you are looking for where you should put your limited development efforts

I expected someone to bring this up, but not you! Tongue Surely a fellow programmer understands the appeal of doing some additional work while the libraries are still fresh in the head? Smile Seems a waste to immediately re-archive all of that chart knowledge...

No problem fixing problems with this bug and learning the new tool. Just not sure there is much to visualize with the data versus tools that support play.
08-15-2013, 03:28 AM,
I am curious about the coverage percentage of recent games and supplements after their release.
08-15-2013, 09:01 AM,
(08-15-2013, 02:40 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Shad, were the forecasts based solely on a trend analysis of the Coverage Percentage?

Yeah it's just taking the average rate of increase for the past 12 months and extending that forwards until 100% is reached. No fancy maths.