Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brave But Futile
09-02-2013, 10:39 PM,
RE: Brave But Futile
They certainly could. The time dilation in the Cold War campaigns probably makes them unsuited for the leader characters, since there is only a 10 day period in play. With Brave But Futile's 10 week period and Steadfast and Loyal's year long campaign they are both reasonable places for promotions and LP purchased skill development. In additioin, I like the idea that their placement within certain units would involve them only in those unit's battles. Pulling a unit out of line to recover would then have an extra incentive in order to rebuild the character's unit.

I could also see a process whereby each line battalion could have their own leader character, although the paperwork to follow that might get pretty hefty. Remember that you are tracking losses by battalion or support unit already.
No "minor" country left behind...
09-02-2013, 10:44 PM,
Quote:I like the Leader Characters from the Kings Officers. Do you think that they would be able to be combined with this style of campaign?

You can combined the personalized leaders, but that is going to make a lot of documentation to keep track of. Granted during a battle like Matt and Hug's have here there is not much and adding documentation for personalized leaders is just like the C&C series. But add this with the campaign documentation that you have it will make quite a bit of documentation work. The only integration issue will be to track the leaders quite precisely between higher formation units. The campaign battles have players "flip" leaders for each battle. Not hard to track them, just more work.
09-03-2013, 09:55 PM,
Can you post an update on the Campaign Points spreasheet when you get time?

Thanks, Trying to see how this works together with the battle reports.

Bob
09-03-2013, 11:40 PM,
Bob,

I have attached the file. If you put your cursor over any of the items with a red triangle in the upper left corner of the cell it will explain what the CPs were used for.

Matt

Attached Files
.xlsx   Brave but Futile Campaign Turn 1.xlsx (Size: 30.64 KB / Downloads: 16)
09-04-2013, 12:00 AM,
(09-03-2013, 11:40 PM)Matt W Wrote: Bob,

I have attached the file. If you put your cursor over any of the items with a red triangle in the upper left corner of the cell it will explain what the CPs were used for.

Matt

Hey Matt,

Is that your moves for Turn 2 on the other spreadsheet? If you haven't already revealed to Hug's the moves you may want to delete.
09-04-2013, 12:07 AM,
Alan,

Nothing of any significance at this point that he couldn't already tell was happening.

Matt
09-04-2013, 12:36 AM,
(09-04-2013, 12:07 AM)Matt W Wrote: Alan,

Nothing of any significance at this point that he couldn't already tell was happening.

Matt

Just didn't want the Allied code breakers getting a free pass on you Wink
09-04-2013, 11:47 PM,
Funny you mention that Alan because code breaking was part of my duties when I was working at CSIS.
09-05-2013, 01:07 AM,
(09-04-2013, 11:47 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: Funny you mention that Alan because code breaking was part of my duties when I was working at CSIS.

There you go, you should be able to re-engineer that spreadsheet to defeat his next attack. BTW, great pictures.
09-08-2013, 10:32 AM,
So Daniel and I got together and played out Turns 2 and 3. The schematic for the campaign to date is shown in the attached file (each turn is a tab on the bottom of the spreadsheet and CP usage is shown in the table noted. For those who took a look at Turn 1, previously you may be wondering how long we played.

Turn 2 took about 15 minutes as we both sat on our heels and licked our wounds from the previous turn.

Turn 3 took a little longer as we had one battle. Daniel delay-activated three battalions and three supports to attack my one unactivated battalion. A slight skirmish entailed as I was able to inflict 4 step losses while experiencing 4 myself a reasonable result given the disparity in forces. I did withdraw some of my battalions into the reserve to aid in getting replacements. Daniel has yet to replace anything. He does, however have the luxury of a ton of CPs. He will face Turn 4 with a paltry 86 CPs. I am incredibly rich with 44.

I should note that we are trying out a modification which permits a "defensive" activation which uses only the delayed activation cost. We will see how that works out.

I should note that we played the retreat for the Germans from Carentan such that they had the choice of where to run. A recalcitrant Allied player would have forced me to retreat back to Cherbourg but Daniel graciously permitted me to acheive the strategic aim of the first turn and retreat my men to Pont Herbet, giving the Allies control of both Carentan and Cherbourg, leaving the controlled locations count at 14 German and 5 Allied. There are 7 turns to play but the Allies build up doesn't stop while the Germans are already at their maximum strength. But Don't worry Cobra is yet to rear its head...

Attached Files
.xlsx   Brave but Futile Campaign Turn by Turn.xlsx (Size: 45.29 KB / Downloads: 11)