Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When can DM unit rally in an assualt hex?
07-09-2013, 12:19 AM,
When can DM unit rally in an assualt hex?
A demoralized unit is in an assault hex. A leader and other units enter the hex on their activation. The rules say they may attack with units already in the hex, provided those units have not already activated, implying the arriving leader my activate units in the assault hex. Could the arriving leader also then activate units to rally, instead of attacking?

We did decide in the affirmative for this scenario.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
07-09-2013, 12:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 12:39 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: When can DM unit rally in an assualt hex?
Peter,

No is the simple answer and the reasoning is as below:

Because a leader outside an assault hex can not influence any unit inside the assault hex (rule 12.51 "Only leaders IN an assault hex can influence units there. Leaders in andjacent hexes can not")

Peter, the obvious reply may well be "Then how do they get them to assault then when they are outside the assault and then enter it".

The answer to that is that is is specifically stated (rule 12.3) and I see and call that move "Stirring up the hornets nest". It is a specific rule apart from all others.
07-09-2013, 12:40 AM,
Further to my last, you may say that he has entered the assault hex and is now in the same hex.

However, at point of activation (when it matters), he was adjacent to the assault hex that the DEM unit is in and not WITH the DEM unit.
07-09-2013, 12:44 AM,
(07-09-2013, 12:19 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: The rules say they may attack with units already in the hex, provided those units have not already activated, implying the arriving leader my activate units in the assault hex. We did decide in the affirmative for this scenario.

I keep finding bits that you may have a further question on Smile

It is not implying that he can activate them for any type of activation. It is specific in that they can only have the option to join in combat WITH the entering units.

The other rules of course state categorically that leaders o/s the assault can not influence assault hex units at all.

I think thats all avenues Shy
07-09-2013, 01:56 AM,
Quote:Could the arriving leader also then activate units to rally, instead of attacking?

I believe the answer to this lies with the activation type. The DEM unit in the assault would not be activating by a MOVE/FIRE declaration. To attempt recover a unit must declare a MOVE activation. This plus what Vince points out that the leader cannot activate the DEM unit, leaves them to recover in another action segment.
07-09-2013, 02:11 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 02:13 AM by Michael Murphy.)
(07-09-2013, 01:56 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
Quote:Could the arriving leader also then activate units to rally, instead of attacking?

I believe the answer to this lies with the activation type. The DEM unit in the assault would not be activating by a MOVE/FIRE declaration. To attempt recover a unit must declare a MOVE activation. This plus what Vince points out that the leader cannot activate the DEM unit, leaves them to recover in another action segment.

Oops! That's another one. Blush

Note to self --- reread the rules occasionally. Fortunately, my opponents (me, myself, and I) haven't had a serious problem with this.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
07-09-2013, 04:48 AM,
(07-09-2013, 02:11 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Oops! That's another one. Blush

Note to self --- reread the rules occasionally. Fortunately, my opponents (me, myself, and I) haven't had a serious problem with this.

Michael,

The little list of rules in error you have building up means that due to the difference in your plays, Shad is soon gonna have to make a site called 'Murphy Grenadier HQ'

Big Grin
07-09-2013, 05:55 AM,
(07-09-2013, 04:48 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(07-09-2013, 02:11 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: Oops! That's another one. Blush

Michael,

The little list of rules in error you have building up means that due to the difference in your plays, Shad is soon gonna have to make a site called 'Murphy Grenadier HQ'

Big Grin

Hang on tight. Who knows where I'll strike next. I sure as hell don't. Cool
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!