Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What game for beginners
07-09-2013, 05:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-09-2013, 05:53 PM by Maggal.)
What game for beginners
Hi there!
Since I´m very interested in PG but do not jet own a copy of any game of this series, my question is: which game(es) do I buy first?
I thought of Eastern Front & Elsenborn Ridge...

Thanks a lot!

By the way: are there tutorial videos in the net somewhere?

Yours
Maggal
07-09-2013, 06:06 PM,
RE: What game for beginners
Assuming you have no particular affection towards any theater or nationality, Elsenborn Ridge is the best place to start. It is relatively low cost, has high production values, and the scenarios are well-designed and highly ranked by players.

You can see on our statistics and rankings page that after 266 plays ER has a sterling 3.56 average rating. Further down the page, you can see that fully 20% of the Top 20 rated scenarios come from ER. That's really punching above one's weight!

For someone unsure of PG, it is by far the best entry point (balancing cost, size, and quality).
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
07-09-2013, 10:44 PM,
I learned to play Panzer Greandier with Elsenborn Ridge.
07-09-2013, 11:27 PM,
Thanks for your statements!
I´m ordering Elsenborn Ridge (and maybe Eastern Front to save shipment costs :-)).

About learning: do tutorial videos exist or an example scenario - or are the ruels that simple to teach it myself?
07-10-2013, 01:21 AM,
Maggal,

There isnt a video tutorial, but some reviews posted on youtube. My approach to learning was read the rules, only 16 pages, setup a small scenario, like the first or second, then play solo to get a feel for the game. After that I would say a FtF game to help iron out the suttulties of the game. If you cant get a person to play give a post on the site and one of us Skype players would be up for a game.
07-10-2013, 06:04 AM,
Second the Skype play. I'm in England, just an hour behind and speak some German which may help some.

I'd go Elsenborn Ridge too as it also compliments quite a few of the supplements as well.
07-10-2013, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013, 08:14 AM by vince hughes.)
Just did a quick check. Elsenborn Ridge can be used in 226 scenarios there or thereabouts. Supplements required or best buys would probably be Invasion of Germany, Winter Soldiers, Black SS (the ones against the Amis) and Go For Broke, but more than a few of the 1944 Romanian campaign uses ER maps too.
07-10-2013, 08:47 AM,
I recommend Winter Soldiers for a first scenario supplement. Fourteen of its scenarios can be played with just the maps and pieces from Elsenborn Ridge, and most of these scenarios are on the small to smallish-medium size.

The electronic (PDF)version is currently on sale on the Avalanche Press site; less than $8 and no shipping cost!
07-10-2013, 04:04 PM,
I´m quite overwhelmed!!!
Thanks a lot for yout respond!!!
As I mentioned, I ordered Elsenborn Ridge and Eastern Front (I´m kind of a collector Smile).
Since I´m an absolute beginner: how does ftf work?
07-10-2013, 05:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-10-2013, 05:08 PM by vince hughes.)
(07-10-2013, 04:04 PM)Maggal Wrote: Since I´m an absolute beginner: how does ftf work?

IMO, Vey well !!

But then I've played 140 games against opponents and only 3 solo (see PGHQ stats page).

That said, the best thing would be for you to push some solo counters around. Then come back here with any questions you may have. But before asking them, check out the PGHQ Rules Q&A on these forums first AND the 'Annotated Rules' section on the PGHQ main page.

If you still can not find an answer, then you should get one (or many) here.

Once you pushed the few pieces around the board and feel happy to play, then its best to play against a live opponent either across a table or on Skype. And I will GUARANTEE you that you will find out new rules that you had been playing wrong. I look forward to hearing from you Maggel Smile