Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over stacked counters/units!
06-26-2013, 05:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM by JayTownsend.)
Over stacked counters/units!
Here a new situation I ran into. Moving an infantry unit in thick jungle I rolled a 5 and the unit became disoriented and moved right instead of straight ahead creating an over stack as it landed on a stack of three infantry units and a leader.

There are three options I guess: I could reroll the dice, or simply leave it over stacked until next turn or eliminate a unit. I left is over stacked until the next turn.

Not a big problem as this is most likely a very rare situation, but still interesting, as I think it could happen to demoralized units fleeing as well, as maybe another situation.
06-26-2013, 07:53 PM,
RE: Over stacked counters/units!
Funny one that.

As I have yet to even play a proper jungle scenario, its something I have yet to experience. Perhaps Jay, when you write you next PTO scenario book, you account for the situation in the Special Rules situation at the start of the scenario book.

Merely expressing a preference rather than a 'rules opinion', I would rather they enter the hex and for each unit over 3 units, there is an additional +1 DF/Bombard modifier. Therefore, 4 counters get a +2 overstack modifier to the DF table. I'd also suggest that not all 4 be allowed to count in assaults for totalling firepower and that the owner must nominate one of the units as not included. However, they all still take punishment.

All those things should encourage a careless commander to re-think his movements before the situation arises :-)
06-26-2013, 09:29 PM,
rules are clear on this. rule 4.1 states units cannot enter a hex, so it would stay in its hex.
06-26-2013, 10:45 PM,
This situation occurred two or three time this Sunday n Saipan #25, Hell's Pocket. I applied 4.1 like Alan described (units stay in the hex they started in) with 2 less movement points remaining to account their attempt to move into another jungle hex.

---

Vince,
The column shift penalty would be moot almost always because units in jungle hexes can only be spotted from 1 hex away.
06-27-2013, 12:18 AM,
(06-26-2013, 10:45 PM)Hugmenot Wrote: Vince,
The column shift penalty would be moot almost always because units in jungle hexes can only be spotted from 1 hex away.

Aha ! Proof of my claim that I have not played a jungle scenario Big Grin

Mind you, at even one hex, with the +2 adjacent, +2 for 4 stack ... minus whatever a jungle does (I presume there is a minus ??), it might still up the FP ... No ?
06-27-2013, 02:34 AM,
(06-26-2013, 09:29 PM)campsawyer Wrote: rules are clear on this. rule 4.1 states units cannot enter a hex, so it would stay in its hex.

Good catch Alan. It helps to review the rules every once in a while.
06-27-2013, 03:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013, 03:30 AM by Michael Murphy.)
(06-27-2013, 02:34 AM)JayTownsend Wrote:
(06-26-2013, 09:29 PM)campsawyer Wrote: rules are clear on this. rule 4.1 states units cannot enter a hex, so it would stay in its hex.

Good catch Alan. It helps to review the rules every once in a while.

Excellent point. I just discovered that I had been playing ENG in assault wrongly for the longest time until I recently re-read the rules. A refresher or two can be a very good thing in order to play the game as intended.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
06-27-2013, 07:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2013, 07:38 AM by vince hughes.)
Come on Michael, spill the beans, what were you doing wrong with assaulting ENG's ?

Does this also mean your previous ENG scenarios are now void and require replays ! Big Grin
06-27-2013, 07:57 AM,
Well, since you asked (menacingly, but politely I might add Big Grin) I was ignoring First Fire whenever an ENG was part of an assault against dug-in or entrenched units. Somehow I had become convinced that ENG gave the attackers that edge. I finally went back and double checked the rules. I could not find anything permitting this.

Please don't embarrass me by pointing out the rule that permits this. Blush

Lord knows I still have lots more PG to play before I redo any of these scenarios just for this. For those in the know, rule A.2 applies here.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
06-27-2013, 10:17 AM,
Mike, just call it a house rule and you are all setWink