Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Games I'd Like to see
01-06-2014, 04:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 04:10 AM by stear.)
RE: Games I'd Like to see
(01-05-2014, 11:46 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Having more IA games would seem appropriate give the 100 year anniversaries of the battles of the timeframe.

I was wondering about that, Alan. Seems like getting Fall of Empires out this year would be extra-appropriate. I was also thinking releasing a "Guns of August" themed IA game for the start of the war in the West might be a good move by August 2014...

-Jim
01-06-2014, 04:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 04:28 AM by campsawyer.)
(01-06-2014, 04:09 AM)stear Wrote:
(01-05-2014, 11:46 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Having more IA games would seem appropriate give the 100 year anniversaries of the battles of the timeframe.

I was wondering about that, Alan. Seems like getting Fall of Empires out this year would be extra-appropriate. I was also thinking releasing a "Guns of August" themed IA game for the start of the war in the West might be a good move by August 2014...

-Jim

Yes, all would be good. Just a question of design, development and delivery for the timeframe.
01-06-2014, 05:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 05:01 AM by vince hughes.)
(01-06-2014, 04:27 AM)campsawyer Wrote:

-Jim

Yes, all would be good. Just a question of design, development and delivery for the timeframe.

No way could a game befitting August 14 for France, Germany & Belgium be designed, mapped, developed, edited, printed mistake free, packed and sent to all buyers in that time. I would be loathe to see such a brisk treatment of what would be presumably one of the most important packages in the set.
01-06-2014, 07:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 07:52 AM by rerathbun.)
(01-06-2014, 05:00 AM)vince hughes Wrote: No way could a game befitting August 14 for France, Germany & Belgium be designed, mapped, developed, edited, printed mistake free, packed and sent to all buyers in that time. I would be loathe to see such a brisk treatment of what would be presumably one of the most important packages in the set.

If I were Mike Perryman or Jay Townsend (or John Stafford), I'd take that as a personal challenge (hint, hint). Angel

Seriously, I'd love to see Guns of August this year, but I'd prefer quality over timing. Given the relative sales of PG vs. IA, I can certainly understand why this will start out as "The Year of PG" instead of IA. Perhaps over the next year or so, and then we can get Cambrai and Amiens on their 100ths'.
01-06-2014, 08:30 AM,
(01-06-2014, 05:00 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 04:27 AM)campsawyer Wrote:

-Jim

No way could a game befitting August 14 for France, Germany & Belgium be designed, mapped, developed, edited, printed mistake free, packed and sent to all buyers in that time. I would be loathe to see such a brisk treatment of what would be presumably one of the most important packages in the set.

Probably not in buyers hands by August, but I wonder about having it to them in advance of Christmas 2014.

I'm assuming it would be similar size to August 1914, i.e. 3-4 88 x 2 counter sheets. Could be several games (and just aim to release one in 2014)... maybe have one focus on the early days through Belgium and the initial German encounters with the French, one focused on the BEF and nearby French units vs. the Germans, one on the defense of Paris / Battle of the Marne, and one with the French vs. Germans down south in Alsace-Lorraine.

But what it probably needs more than anything is,

[Image: 521px-YourCountryNeedsYou.jpg]

Volunteers to the Front!

Smile To design etc.

-Jim
01-06-2014, 08:46 AM,
Well, regarding quality and delivery, if Horn of Africa is an indication, APL might finally be on track. Just received it the other day, maps and pieces look great. I have not finished the SSR's or all the scenarios but so far they look solid. No simple typo's, SSR's look good so far although I have not played it yet.

My question to Jim is how long did this take to go from concept to the December delivery?
01-06-2014, 11:18 AM,
(01-06-2014, 08:46 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Well, regarding quality and delivery, if Horn of Africa is an indication, APL might finally be on track. Just received it the other day, maps and pieces look great. I have not finished the SSR's or all the scenarios but so far they look solid. No simple typo's, SSR's look good so far although I have not played it yet.

My question to Jim is how long did this take to go from concept to the December delivery?

I can't speak to the date of concept, but I became involved in mid-Nov. By that time, Mike had settled on the map areas and counter mix, leaving little room for me to make changes. Design, development and testing of the scenarios was completed in about three weeks, benefiting from Mike sketching out 8 of the 15 operational, and the fact that (1) I had TG week and Dec 14+ off, and (2) I keep hours like Samara from The Ring. If I had been able to provide input early on, I would have pushed for the map to be larger / align with EF map, and to increase the counter mix to 70/140.

This pace is less than idea; feels like we are publishing under newspaper deadlines (which I believe Mike is used to). The 2.0 versions of Crimson and Red were accomplished under the same conditions, albeit without the vacation on my part. The downside is, this pace doesn't allow for help / testing by the wider review / development team (Holzer / Wheeler). I would have liked a larger counter mix for Crimson 2.0, and for Red 2.0.

But that said, I am always looking for perfection (I was going to recycle Maine and RJW again, if given the chance). In these three, despite the tight deadlines, errors were small. If folks are happy with these games, and having much fun with them, then... "Mission Accomplished!" Big Grin

-Jim
01-06-2014, 11:37 AM,
(01-06-2014, 11:18 AM)stear Wrote:
(01-06-2014, 08:46 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Well, regarding quality and delivery, if Horn of Africa is an indication, APL might finally be on track. Just received it the other day, maps and pieces look great. I have not finished the SSR's or all the scenarios but so far they look solid. No simple typo's, SSR's look good so far although I have not played it yet.

I can't speak to the date of concept, but I became involved in mid-Nov. By that time, Mike had settled on the map areas and counter mix, leaving little room for me to make changes. Design, development and testing of the scenarios was completed in about three weeks, benefiting from Mike sketching out 8 of the 15 operational, and the fact that (1) I had TG week and Dec 14+ off, and (2) I keep hours like Samara from The Ring. If I had been able to provide input early on, I would have pushed for the map to be larger / align with EF map, and to increase the counter mix to 70/140.

This pace is less than idea; feels like we are publishing under newspaper deadlines (which I believe Mike is used to). The 2.0 versions of Crimson and Red were accomplished under the same conditions, albeit without the vacation on my part. The downside is, this pace doesn't allow for help / testing by the wider review / development team (Holzer / Wheeler). I would have liked a larger counter mix for Crimson 2.0, and for Red 2.0.

But that said, I am always looking for perfection (I was going to recycle Maine and RJW again, if given the chance). In these three, despite the tight deadlines, errors were small. If folks are happy with these games, and having much fun with them, then... "Mission Accomplished!" Big Grin

-Jim

In terms of QA, Horn is the best, Red iis good, I have a couple items that I will email and you have the stuff from RTM. I believe from your end the GWAS/SWWAS is looking better.

Also, I would agree on the the maps for Horn. But this is for another forum.
09-05-2015, 06:07 PM,
Operation Michael, the last German offensive.

I think picking the mideast for a Brit-centric game is a good idea. The Somme and Verdun may be national mythology in Britain and France, but the maneuver periods of the war are better for gaming and were more decisive. There wouldn't be much to do (especially for Germans) in a lot of western front battles from 1915-17. The 1918 offensive and allied counteroffensive would be perfect! You get later war troops of every side, including Americans and Marines.
You could even see this being split in two: Gott mit Uns! The final German offensive in the West
First to Fight! The Allied Offensive to win the war

Russian Civil War also fits. Cavalry charges and pursuits are devastating in this system, and they would reflect well.