Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SoI: maps
06-14-2013, 01:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-14-2013, 01:27 AM by vince hughes.)
RE: SoI: maps
Taking a second look at that map, I reckon hexes 0802 and 0704 might also stimulate some debate about is it a 1/4 or not when first used by players ?

As an opening gambit, I'd say they were both just 'under' the 1/4 mark, but boy ! They are debateable.
06-14-2013, 02:28 AM,
(06-14-2013, 01:26 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Taking a second look at that map, I reckon hexes 0802 and 0704 might also stimulate some debate about is it a 1/4 or not when first used by players ?

As an opening gambit, I'd say they were both just 'under' the 1/4 mark, but boy ! They are debateable.

Well by looking at the graphic of the hill both hexes are more than 1/4, looking at the contour line I would agree there could be some debate.
06-14-2013, 02:34 AM,
Fantastic maps Guy!
06-14-2013, 02:35 AM,
I want to learn how to use that map drawing program! Smile
06-14-2013, 07:54 AM,
(06-14-2013, 02:28 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
(06-14-2013, 01:26 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Taking a second look at that map, I reckon hexes 0802 and 0704 might also stimulate some debate about is it a 1/4 or not when first used by players ?

Well by looking at the graphic of the hill both hexes are more than 1/4, looking at the contour line I would agree there could be some debate.

Alan,

Yes, I am talking about the contour line and not the graphics. That's the issue.
06-14-2013, 08:27 AM,
(06-14-2013, 07:54 AM)vince hughes Wrote:
(06-14-2013, 02:28 AM)campsawyer Wrote:

Alan,

Yes, I am talking about the contour line and not the graphics. That's the issue.

Yes, but I see a second issue. It seems that the contour lines are not following the graphics like we have with the other boards. This seems to have the graphics being more natural, but this doesn't follow the contour lines. So looking at 604, the contour line is probably less that 1/4 but the graphic of the hill is bigger than 1/4 so which one defines it.
06-14-2013, 09:05 AM,
And its the yellow contour lines that I would use as the guide.

As I am not currently a perspective buyer of SoD (love that acronym though I feel responsible for the change to SoI) its not an issue. But if I do end up with the maps, or indeed, just from a wish that AP gets rid of more chances for yet more anomalies in a PG product, then they need those yellow contour lines to be decisively over or under 1/4 of the hex space.

In fact, though I love the artwork used, this final development stage is not a time to fawn over that but instead deliver genuine gaming concerns before money is invested in the final print. I always like Guy's mapwork, but please lets get rid of potential 'thorns' in game-play that can be easily extinguished now :-)
06-14-2013, 10:23 AM,
(06-14-2013, 09:05 AM)vince hughes Wrote: And its the yellow contour lines that I would use as the guide.

As I am not currently a perspective buyer of SoD (love that acronym though I feel responsible for the change to SoI) its not an issue. But if I do end up with the maps, or indeed, just from a wish that AP gets rid of more chances for yet more anomalies in a PG product, then they need those yellow contour lines to be decisively over or under 1/4 of the hex space.

In fact, though I love the artwork used, this final development stage is not a time to fawn over that but instead deliver genuine gaming concerns before money is invested in the final print. I always like Guy's mapwork, but please lets get rid of potential 'thorns' in game-play that can be easily extinguished now :-)

I have to agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. I love the maps that Guy creates. I just have niggling questions about what certain hexes really represent. As an example, right now my biggest issue is trying to distinguish between light and normal jungle on the PTO maps. I would be a very happy camper if somebody could identify and clarify some of these ambiguities before completing the final artwork.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
06-14-2013, 11:34 AM,

Excellent point, agree 100%
warstudent aka Jim
06-14-2013, 04:27 PM,
despite realizing that for some of you, I'm removing 40% of your table talk (80% for you loquacious solo gamers), the contour elevation lines in this game are completely unambiguous--if an elevation changes in the hex, it occupies well over 50% of the hex.