Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Rules] Panzer Grendier to Panzer Grenadier (Modern)
05-26-2013, 11:56 PM,
Panzer Grendier to Panzer Grenadier (Modern)
http://www.avalanchepress.com/ModernSummary.php

a few:
Spotting: Fast mover forward air controllers (FAC) can spot. Dawn/dusk effects on spotting range are set. Counterbattery spotting for efficient units is explained. Vision enhancements like infrared and spotlights are explained.

Stacking: Reduced to 2 combat units + 2 transports normally, but unlimited overstack possible inadvertently with +1 column shifts for each extra unit due to increased target density; only two units can fire out of overstacked hex. There is also some clarification of leaders and stacking. Players may not examine enemy unit stacks except in specific circumstances; i.e., adjacent.

Movement: Air and naval movement added and explained. Format revamped with an expanded section discussing terrain effects; explains tracks, rivers, bridging equipment, all water hexes, gullies, wadis, anti-tank ditches, barbed wire, and dragon’s teeth. Also, helicopter and fast mover movement is detailed, and weather effects are discussed, but most rules remain intact. Some efficient units can move and fire or fire and move, the firing coming with a -1 column shift penalty.
warstudent aka Jim
05-27-2013, 12:52 AM,
RE: Panzer Grendier to Panzer Grenadier (Modern)
(05-26-2013, 11:56 PM)warstudent Wrote: Players may not examine enemy unit stacks except in specific circumstances; i.e., adjacent.
That's how Matt and I play when playing PG ftf.
05-27-2013, 08:29 AM,
It makes for a decent Fog of War effect in combination with hidden units.
No "minor" country left behind...
05-27-2013, 09:39 AM,
(05-27-2013, 08:29 AM)Matt W Wrote: It makes for a decent Fog of War effect in combination with hidden units.

Matt, I am not a big fan of hidden rules, so I hope they are optional!
05-27-2013, 11:36 AM,
I imagine they will be. What I do like is the idea that leaders work on AFVs as well as other units. My reading in the 67 and 73 wars in the ME indicated that it would be critical to add leaders for AFVs. The concept of using the same leaders for all combat untis is a good reflection of the advances in combined arms tactics. I am now thinking that I should have pulled the trigger on this one but some of my clients hit cash slowdowns which always seems to end up with cash slowdowns for me! I HAD to have Liberation so I held off on Sword.

Luckily Daniel ordered it so I will get a look at it when it comes.
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM,
Hidden units will be used more often than in PG in modern PG per Stafford's summary.
05-28-2013, 11:44 AM,
(05-28-2013, 09:12 AM)larry marak Wrote: Hidden units will be used more often than in PG in modern PG per Stafford's summary.

He and I differ on this subject but I respect his design.
05-30-2013, 02:50 AM,
Probably reflects difference in detection capability. Examples...various types of concealment in the 2nd Vietnam war, the ability of Abrams tanks to target Iraqi T-72 at night while "invisible" to the Republican guard units. Even concealment of combatants by villagers, as in the FARQ insurgency, which has gone on for 50 years in Bolivia (?). At the time scale of PG all of these could be expressed as hidden units.
05-30-2013, 02:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2013, 02:56 AM by larry marak.)
P.S. , now maybe we can see the 2nd and 3rd Equatorial wars. Ecuadorians never give up. Their children today read about occupied Ecuadorian territory in their public schools, in preparation for round four.
05-30-2013, 05:51 AM,
War(s) on the Equator?