Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ooVoo -- an interesting alternative to Skype
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM,
Information  ooVoo -- an interesting alternative to Skype
As far as I know, most of our players who play online use Skype.

My American sales team just introduced an interesting alternative to me called ooVoo. The free service offers up to 12 people in simultaneous video/audio chat. This is equivalent to Google+ Hangouts, but that service is highly unreliable for me here in China.

I'm not sure how well a 2v2 online game of PG would go, but thought you folks would like to be aware of this alternative. It's kind of neat to imagine a situation with players literally from all around the world working through a scenario together. Smile

I have an ooVoo account now. So if you also decide to try it PM me and I'll send you my ID.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
05-03-2013, 10:05 PM,
RE: ooVoo -- an interesting alternative to Skype
Shad what is the site location?
05-03-2013, 10:21 PM,
It's www.oovoo.com.

I'm a little leery since my disappointments with Instan-t & Trillian. The features look good. My concern has more to do with long term viability & acceptance.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
05-03-2013, 11:55 PM,
(05-03-2013, 10:05 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Shad what is the site location?

It's actually linked in the original post, and your asking is the final push I need to change the CSS for link colors. They are too hard to spot. Any suggestions?
05-04-2013, 03:02 AM,
shad,

even worse i did not even see the link on the small phone screen.
05-04-2013, 06:54 AM,
(05-03-2013, 11:55 PM)Shad Wrote: I need to change the CSS for link colors. They are too hard to spot. Any suggestions?

Blue is popular on the web, if you want to go with familiar. There's always Olive Drab if you want to go different. Field Gray would probably be worse than the current one. Pink if you want to evoke the German counter colors of the older gamers' youth . . . Wink
05-04-2013, 09:27 PM,
Shad,

The simplist approach would be to underline any linked text. To Robins point, blue is the usual color but you can have anything that is different from the other text. I woukd only add that it must be easy to see from the other text.
05-13-2013, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-13-2013, 12:28 PM by Shad.)
Well, if you force-refresh your page (Ctrl+F5 in most Windows browsers) you should now have links that are blue and become dark red when you hover your mouse over them.

Example: this is a bogus link

EDIT - ok, link color change now restricted to post content only. All set!
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM,
Regarding ooVoo itself, I'm using it with my US team quite well. One key difference between it and Skype is that you and your friend(s) video windows are the same size, unlike Skype where you can full-screen your opponent and your own image is in the bottom corner.

This makes sense if you need to videochat with more than 1 person at once, but in a one-on-one situation Skype is a better solution.