Poll: Do you house rule 8.21 or do you play by the book? Specificalls is a hill hex absolutely limiting terrain in your games?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I play by the book
57.14%
12 57.14%
I house rule the hill rules
42.86%
9 42.86%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll regarding hills being limiting Terrain
04-23-2013, 08:49 PM,
Poll regarding hills being limiting Terrain
I read in the annotated rules that the hills being limiting terrain is often house ruled.
That sounds sensible, but I want to know to what extent this is consensus, so I created this poll. Please feel free to comment and discuss as well, it is quite important rule, I think.
04-23-2013, 09:37 PM,
RE: Poll regarding hills being limiting Terrain
Actually even though I voted by "the book", it should have been qualified by "mostly".

We added what we call a Presumed Crest rule. That means a unit cannot see over the middle of a hill that it is on.
We to out the "any" portion of the DF modifier clause, and replaced it with "equal or lower". This gives the advantage to the high ground, and makes aircraft slightly more effective.
... More and more, people around the world are coming to realize that the world is flat! Winking
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM by vince hughes.)
Our Skype and ftf group have a very minor version of 'House rules' for hills being limting terrain.

We play Hills ARE limiting when:

1. The observer is looking to a higher level.

2. The observer is on the same level of hill BUT on a different hill.

These rules came about when I think most of us found the desert maps a little incomprehensible where there can be a hill line stretching the whole length of the map (brown shaded areas) and it meant that opposing units on that same hill line could not see each other more than 600 yards away ........ In the desert !

We were not happy with that and thus our rule No.2 above was born. It effectively means that units on the same level AND same hill are not in limiting terrain from each other.

I've only played a couple from Beyond Normandy, but with that map, where there are no hills as such, but proper mapped out elevation lines. We use rule No.1 above and that is it.
04-24-2013, 12:03 AM,
This both sound like very sensible house rules. I think I will definitely be using the one by Vince especially as it seems also kind of official.
(See the thread here)
http://www.pg-hq.com/comms/showthread.php?tid=535
BTW: sorry if this all feels a bit like crossposting!

Thanks,
Daniel.

PS Is there a way to edit the poll so it is no longer public? I did this "by accident" and as I am interested in as many votes as possible I would like to undo this if possible.
05-05-2013, 06:32 PM,
Just another request to lease take part in the poll!
I think it is really interesting for all of us to see how this rule is used by many of us.
05-05-2013, 11:15 PM,
I play by the book... but don't like it much.

There really is no basic different between a hill level and ground level. Both are above sea level and therefore "hills" to the fishermen. It's the looking across elevation lines that makes for difficult LOS, not along.