Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8.2 Limiting Terrain, specifically hills
04-23-2013, 08:48 PM,
8.2 Limiting Terrain, specifically hills
Probably this has generally been discussed allready several times, I spotted a detail, that I found nothing about.

In Afrika Korps the special rules for hills are exactly like in the ruleboook, meaning that a hill hex is absolutely limiting terrain, regardless from the position of the spotter.
"Units occupying hill may not be spotted by enemy units more than 3 hexes away!

But in Battle of the Bulge it says:
"units occupying hill hexes may not be spotted by enemy units on lower level terrain more than three hexes away.

Has anyone else noticed this?
What is your opinion, should the rule from Bulge be retrofitted to older games?
Is it relevant at all, because it is clearly different from the main rulebook?
04-23-2013, 10:18 PM,
RE: 8.2 Limiting Terrain, specifically hills
See my post to you in the Hills Poll thread.

I think our rules take on both your queries head on and keep the simplicity of the game foremost. It also standardizes the whole issue for our group of players. :-)
04-24-2013, 01:25 PM,
(04-23-2013, 08:48 PM)daxelos Wrote: Probably this has generally been discussed allready several times, I spotted a detail, that I found nothing about.

In Afrika Korps the special rules for hills are exactly like in the ruleboook, meaning that a hill hex is absolutely limiting terrain, regardless from the position of the spotter.

"units occupying hill hexes may not be spotted by enemy units on lower level terrain more than three hexes away.

Bear in mind that Battle of the Bulge came out long before the 3rd Edition rulebook came out, so lots of what's in BotB is outdated. When in doubt, just stick with the core rulebook.
04-24-2013, 07:49 PM,
(04-24-2013, 01:25 PM)upintheattic Wrote:
(04-23-2013, 08:48 PM)daxelos Wrote: Probably this has generally been discussed allready several times, I spotted a detail, that I found nothing about.

Bear in mind that Battle of the Bulge came out long before the 3rd Edition rulebook came out, so lots of what's in BotB is outdated. When in doubt, just stick with the core rulebook.

Thanks for that bit of information, I was not aware of this.
Do you know if there are any plans for a forth edition of the rules?
As an added concern it seems very likely the the scenarios of the Bulge game were playtested with the "modified" hill rules, quoted above.
So it would be best to know exactly which hill rule(s) where used in the making of which game. A wish witch is very unlikely to be fulfilled, but this element of uncertainty kind of annoys me, I have to say.

But, keeping with the spirit of the game, in games where it is not specifically stated I maybe will just roll a die at the beginning of each scenario to see if it has got "broken hills" (absolutely limiting terrain) or "round hills" (only limiting terrain if looked at from below, as in the rules of Battle of the Bulge).

Thanks,
Daniel.
04-24-2013, 09:13 PM,
Daniel,

I did warn you about 'angst' in another post and how I desired to stop future angst for you. But you have already used the word 'annoy' already LOL......

Keep it simple and it will work. Also, best ways, choose your system and stick to it. Then everyone is happy.

You should also realise that the owner of AP, Mike Benninghof no longer 'develops' the game and has even admitted to not being fully 'weiss' with the rules anymore. So a fourth edition would probably be a fan-based publication and finally include ALL the rules from ALL the publications in a single updated form. It would also more likely include many more exemptions and what ifs to certain rules. I'd like to do it but time prohibits any such venture right now.

Another thing we stick to in our group right now is only using the supplement special rules for the supplement we are playing. What this means is that in certain games, some AT guns can be dragged by certain troops but not in other games. If I were to re-write for example. I would put that rule in as a standard once and for all taking account of AT size etc. But as it stands we just stick to the supplement SSR's.
04-24-2013, 11:39 PM,
Hey Vince

Thank you again for your comments. I am not really fuming about this, I just had a bad morning.....Wink.
I had similar experiences with the Civil War Brigade series from The Gamers and got over it.
Easy does it and so and so......Wink.

Thanks,
Daniel.

PS By now I solitaired 3 scenarios and had great fun. Its just that inquiring minds want to know....