Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern War
05-09-2013, 08:47 AM,
RE: Modern War
Come on, give us more details? Eye candy, scenario situations and unit & tanks types? I already paid via the Gold-Club for my copy. Smile
05-11-2013, 12:56 AM,
From http://www.tanks.net/tank-battles/six-day-war.html

Quote:More than 2,500 tanks were involved.

Israel had Super Sherman, Centurion, Patton and AMX-13 tanks.

During the Six Day War, Israel used a newer, more effective tank strategy. Previously, Israeli tank strategy had revolved around the use of light tanks, such as the AMX-13, for speed and agility. However, during the Six Day War, General Israel Tal decided that the Israelis should focus on using heavier tanks, such as the Centurion and the Patton, which could carry larger weapons and which provided better crew protection.

The Arab countries that opposed Israel in the war, Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Iraq had many T-34/85s.

Egypt also deployed PT-76s, T-54/55s and JS-3s (IS-3s).

Jordan used M48 Pattons. Some of these were captured and later used by the Israelis.

The Centurion tanks were upgraded to use the British 105mm L7 gun prior to the war. The Shermans were also upgraded with a number of improvments.
05-17-2013, 12:03 AM,
I was a playtester for Sword of Israel (nee David) in November to January of 2011-2012. The scenarios I played were mostly what I consider medium sized (2-3 battalions per side, 2-4 maps). The Israelis are tough tough tough, but the VCs are demanding so the Egyptians, Syrians and Jordanians all had scenarios that they won. Mostly by spoiling an Israeli victory.

The rules are a nice progression from PG. I don't know how much of what we playtested has survived to production, but the playtest rules made combined arms more natural and had ways of making well-trained troops better at moving/firing than poor troops. I won't be any more specific than that.

The playtest maps, while in a crude form, had some really cool terrain.

I'm looking forward to getting my pre-ordered copy, but I'm honestly even more interested in Korea!

Scott
05-17-2013, 01:46 AM,
I heard something along the same lines from another playtester before I ordered the game last week.

I am more curious about the system than the actual conflict.

The game I most looking forward to is Ottavio's first box game. One of the rare 20th century conflicts in which boulders were used effectively on at least one occasion. I am hoping a scenario will cover that specific engagement and that will see some very unusual scenario special rules. After that Kursk: Burning Tigers because I like large scenarios.
05-18-2013, 09:21 AM,
Panzer Grenadier (Modern):
1967: Sword of Israel

In June 1967, Israeli forces struck first against the Egyptian, Syrian and Jordanian forces massing on their borders for a final invasion of the Jewish state. For six days, battle raged along all fronts with the Israelis inflicting massive defeats on their Arab foes before the United Nations brokered a cease-fire agreement.
Sword of David is a military history board game based on the battles of the 1967 Six-Day War, in which Israel held off and then defeated the combined armies of Egypt, Syria, Jordan and the Palestine Liberation Organization. There are fifty scenarios, or separate game situations, portraying each of the important battles that took place in this war that set the course of modern history.
The game system is based on the very popular Panzer Grenadier system, and will be instantly familiar to anyone who’s played any of the games in that series. Units represent platoons of tanks and infantry, batteries of artillery and anti-tank or anti-aircraft guns, and flights of three to five helicopters or aircraft. Designer John Stafford has provided fifty scenarios from the Six Day War. There are eight new maps by Guy Riessen, and 990 playing pieces.
Play aids are full-color, with units and leaders on the ultra-thick laser-cut pieces first seen in Western Desert Force. The game is not sold in stores or at online retailers – it is available exclusively from Avalanche Press.
1967: Sword of Israel includes:
• Eight 11x17-inch heavy cardstock maps
• 990 playing pieces
• 50 scenarios
Links:

Stock #0324

http://www.avalanchepress.com/game1967.php
05-18-2013, 10:35 AM,
Are there going to be any urban scenarios inside Jerusalem?
warstudent aka Jim
05-18-2013, 11:55 PM,
Great question, urban warfare is still the big Lacuna (I know it sounds like a hawaiian term, but its Latin) in the PG system. Scaling and line of sight are probably the bigest problems to overcome. The mapping would be incredibly dense...(best tactical level, 50m per hex wargaming map for urban combat is the 4 map Berlin maps for the Advanced Tobruk System/ Squads & Leaders done by Critical Hit). And I suspect gamers would prefer site specific maps so that paper maps would be required instead of geomorphic maps. Still, once this hurtle was finally successfully crossed, we could have Brussles and Liege 1914, Barcelona 1938, Belgrade 1916 {?), Brest-Litovsk 1941, Stalingrad 1942, Kharkov 1943, Warsaw Rising, Berlin 45, Manilla 45, and Beirut 78.

There were a lot of epic battles fought mercilessly in built-up areas.
05-19-2013, 12:16 AM,
I would like to know what the similarities and differences are between Panzer Grenadier (Modern) and the base WWII Panzer Grenadier.

Lucky Eddie
05-19-2013, 02:38 AM,
(05-18-2013, 11:55 PM)larry marak Wrote: Great question, urban warfare is still the big Lacuna (I know it sounds like a hawaiian term, but its Latin) in the PG system. Scaling and line of sight are probably the bigest problems to overcome. The mapping would be incredibly dense...(best tactical level, 50m per hex wargaming map for urban combat is the 4 map Berlin maps for the Advanced Tobruk System/ Squads & Leaders done by Critical Hit). And I suspect gamers would prefer site specific maps so that paper maps would be required instead of geomorphic maps. Still, once this hurtle was finally successfully crossed, we could have Brussles and Liege 1914, Barcelona 1938, Belgrade 1916 {?), Brest-Litovsk 1941, Stalingrad 1942, Kharkov 1943, Warsaw Rising, Berlin 45, Manilla 45, and Beirut 78.

There were a lot of epic battles fought mercilessly in built-up areas.

Hey Larry, I gave you a little urban action in Saipan! Smile
05-19-2013, 02:39 AM,
(05-19-2013, 12:16 AM)Lucky Eddie Wrote: I would like to know what the similarities and differences are between Panzer Grenadier (Modern) and the base WWII Panzer Grenadier.

Lucky Eddie

I second that Eddie! But either way, I already ordered it.