Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern War
08-23-2013, 12:03 AM,
RE: Modern War
Mike noted on CSW that the Avalanche web site has been hacked. The intrusion seems to have been deliberate and targeted. He included a link to the webstore. The attack happened quickly after the announcement of availability was sent out.

I'm completely speechless.
No "minor" country left behind...
08-23-2013, 12:26 AM,
Without more details there's no point in speculating.

It could be some angry faction of hacktivists.

It could also just be entirely coincidental timing.

Their website is a rickity piece of shit. It would take very little to bring it down.

Sites - including this one you're on right now - get attacked constantly. That's just the nature of the modern Internet.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
08-23-2013, 12:52 AM,
I agree with Shad. All sites are vulerable. Couple of months ago GMT lost there site for days. They had to put it up on a new hosting center because of it. Most likely credit card theives trying to get in. Seems that the web store for APL is more secure than the general web site.
08-23-2013, 11:04 AM,
Does that mean the next iteration of PG(M*2) will be a hacking contest?

Just what is the direct fire number for hackers?
09-07-2013, 03:03 PM,
Glad MW got its own folder. I received my copy of 1967 Sword of Israel yesterday and it is loaded with tons of material. Lot of new AFVs, beautiful maps, nice looking scenarios and so on.
09-07-2013, 03:15 PM,
1967, Sword of Israel.

Besides Infantry units, Artillery, Leaders and so on, this game has a lot on new AFVs that should create some interesting matchups! To name some of them:

M53, BM-24, Salr-18, AT-1, T34/85, T55, T54, Cent3, Su100, BTR50, BTR60, BTR152, BTR40, OT62, PT76, Sherman, JS3, PzIV, M113, M3, M48, Jeep-106mm, AML90, TCM20 AMX13, M48A2, Cent5, M50, M51, M3/120, M52, ENTAC.
09-12-2013, 01:22 PM,
Great looking set. The counters are thicker, but not too thick, standard Yaquinto thickness. Still have the crisp wooden feel of the earlier counters. I still find the setting a little strange, a one-sided sneak attack on Syria and Egypt which lasted only until superpower pressure stopped the tanks. A Nato/Warsaw Pact battle would allow far more balance and variety in battle situations.

Maps look great, done like Kursk South Flank.

At least 32 additional PG system maps will be out in the next 5 months, so buckle your seat belts and dig deep into your wallets. There's gonna be lots more wall paper for our game rooms!
09-16-2013, 08:14 AM,
Still waiting on my Sword of Israel... but I get why its a selection for the initial game:
1. Believe WWIII games have really saturated the genre, PZGII needs something to stand out and still have a wide appeal. Arab-Israel fits the bill. Speculative WWIII scenarios can come later once there is a following. Also, having scenarios that REALLY happened gives you something where the effectiveness of the system can actually be measured against historical results.
2. 1967, while lopsided, provides a foundation for the middle era of the modern conflicts -an array of maps, units, formations, etc that can be leveraged for expansion into every other major middle eastern/Israeli conflict from 1948 - 1973 and perhaps 80's Lebanon too.
09-18-2013, 10:51 AM,
Mike noted on CSW that the new Israeli counters have arrived and shipping has recommenced.
No "minor" country left behind...
07-04-2014, 03:36 PM,
I have been too busy since the games was released to get much playing time in on it, except two scenarios. But looking through this game again, its a real gem, loaded with all kinds of AFV types, a great mix of scenarios and fantastic maps, eight of them in fact and they can be used with PG games as well.

What is not to like:

1967: Sword of Israel includes:
• Eight 11x17-inch heavy cardstock maps
• 909 playing pieces
• 50 scenarios