Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[House Rules] No spotting with Trucks ? (PG BoB, Scenario 2,Holtzhum I)
04-20-2013, 12:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM by daxelos.)
No spotting with Trucks ? (PG BoB, Scenario 2,Holtzhum I)
Hello

I am quite new to Panzer Grenadier and have a question.
I am currently playing the Holtzhum I scenario from PG Battle of the Bulge (scenario 2).

The Scenario Rules state that the Americans may not move until a German unit is spotted. The only exception are some reinforcements that enter on turn 3 loaded on trucks. These reinforcements my move on turn 3 and 4 (only) and then only again when a German unit is spotted.

I think a nice approach for the Germans would be to close to the objective city through some light and deep Woods, only being spotted in the last moment.
BUT as the scenario is written, the American side can use its reinforcements as scouts, not reinforcing but driving foreword to meet and spot the approaching Germans. This would totally change the basic the scenario outlook, but would be fair enough IF at least the Americans would have to use combat units not trucks for such a tactic.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Daniel.

PS I hope my description makes any kind of sense, as I said I am quite new to PG....Smile.
04-20-2013, 01:13 AM,
RE: No spotting with Trucks ? (PG BoB, Scenario 2,Holtzhum I)
Daniel,

Just play it as written is my advice.

If the US uses the trucks to scout, they will need a unit in them. As the US can only lose 6 steps max over 28 turns, the loss of a scout (the reduced HMG or AT) would be quite costly in itself.

As trucks are harmless enemies when empty and unarmed, they shouldn't be used to scout on their own because then they are 'empty' as per rule 5.31. If empty, nobody is scouting.
04-20-2013, 01:36 AM,
In fact whilst talking about empty trucks. Our playing group also do not allow empty trucks to be used as Minefield scouts either.
04-20-2013, 02:26 AM,
(04-20-2013, 01:13 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Daniel,

Just play it as written is my advice.

If the US uses the trucks to scout, they will need a unit in them. As the US can only lose 6 steps max over 28 turns, the loss of a scout (the reduced HMG or AT) would be quite costly in itself.

As trucks are harmless enemies when empty and unarmed, they shouldn't be used to scout on their own because then they are 'empty' as per rule 5.31. If empty, nobody is scouting.

Vince

Thank you very much for your answer.
Thats how I was playing it today, and also recommend others playing it. It works quite well with the added risk of an easy step loss for the Americans.
As a side note since you seem to know the scenario well: the scenario rules state that the Americans can move after the Germans are spotted. Does that mean that they become available immediatly after the spotting (same turn) or the next turn after the spotting? I assume the former.

Thank you very much,
Daniel.
04-20-2013, 02:54 AM,
Daniel,

"Until a unit is spotted"

It says nothing else, so as soon as a UNIT is spotted (not leader), the US are free to move immediately thereafter.

As you say you are new to PG, I'll give you some valuable advice. Most debates here centre around people reading too much into rules. If you go with what is written in the 3rd ed. rules, game special rules and SSR's (except where errata states otherwise), you will find the game so much easier. Try not to get wrapped up in reading into more that is not there.

In this example, it does not mention next turn, but says "until a unit is spotted". So keep it that simple.

Believe me, I may be saving you a whole lot of future angst ..... LOL

Prost !! (raises a Hamburg Holsten in your direction)
04-20-2013, 02:58 AM,
Thanks and Cheers........Smile
04-20-2013, 03:03 AM,
(04-20-2013, 02:54 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Daniel,

"Until a unit is spotted"

It says nothing else, so as soon as a UNIT is spotted (not leader), the US are free to move immediately thereafter.

As you say you are new to PG, I'll give you some valuable advice. Most debates here centre around people reading too much into rules. If you go with what is written in the 3rd ed. rules, game special rules and SSR's (except where errata states otherwise), you will find the game so much easier. Try not to get wrapped up in reading into more that is not there.

In this example, it does not mention next turn, but says "until a unit is spotted". So keep it that simple.

Believe me, I may be saving you a whole lot of future angst ..... LOL

Prost !! (raises a Hamburg Holsten in your direction)

Vince is correct. Read them as is, but this might mean reading them multiple times until it sinks in and even then you may still have questions. This is a great forum to answer them.
04-20-2013, 03:05 AM,
I'll gladly take your good advice!
04-20-2013, 06:31 AM,
I started playing last year and one thing that helped me tremendously was to read the rules again after my 3rd scenario. I had played enough to better understand their meaning but not long enough for my misunderstandings to have become too ingrained.

I still review specific sections from time to time, mostly as a quick refresher but sometimes to compare them with the Infantry Attack rules.