Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaders assisting with morale checks and recovery attempts
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM,
Leaders assisting with morale checks and recovery attempts
12.51 Leaders “Only leaders in an assault hex may influence units there. Leaders in adjacent hexes may not. Leaders in the assault hex may direct units in adjacent hexes to enter the assault hex, but may not influence them in any other way if they don’t enter the assault hex.”

From this, leaders outside an assault hex cannot activate a unit inside the assault hex to attempt recovery and assist the unit in recovery. Similarly a leader inside an assault hex cannot help a unit in a hex adjacent to the assault hex to recover.

I have been assuming that assistance with morale checks is also banned in the above situations due to the “may not influence” clause, even though a leader does not need to activate in order to assist with morale checks. Is this correct?

Tim
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Leaders assisting with morale checks and recovery attempts
(04-15-2013, 10:18 PM)Bluebell88A Wrote: From this, leaders outside an assault hex cannot activate a unit inside the assault hex to attempt recovery and assist the unit in recovery. Similarly a leader inside an assault hex cannot help a unit in a hex adjacent to the assault hex to recover.

I have been assuming that assistance with morale checks is also banned in the above situations due to the “may not influence” clause, even though a leader does not need to activate in order to assist with morale checks. Is this correct?

Tim

Leaders outside an assault hex CAN NOT activate a unit inside an assault hex = CORRECT

HOWEVER, units entering the assault hex noisily can 'activate' those already in it to assault.

So you may for example, have a unit and leader o/s the hex activate and jump in the assault 'noisily'. This would then stir up the friendly units inside the hex if unactivated to join in the assault. Make sense. See rule 12.3

Leader in an assault hex CAN NOT help a unit adjacent to recover = CORRECT

As per the rule wording. Leaders in an assault hex CAN NOT influence units outside an assault hex in any way BUT to call them into the assault hex. Recoveries, assisting morale checks, activating for any other means is completely VERBOTEN except, once again, to call them into the assault hex.

I think the word 'influence' was used just for that reason, so that it included more than just activating.

This is yet more reasons too that I always think some form of head to head play is always beneficial because many many rules go un-noticed with continual solo play. You play something wrong and it is never corrected by anybody.

Anyway. Hope all the above helped BB
04-15-2013, 11:24 PM,
Wink  RE: Leaders assisting with morale checks and recovery attempts
Spot on, thanks!

Something else to clarify in the 4th Edition?

Tim
04-16-2013, 01:11 AM,
RE: Leaders assisting with morale checks and recovery attempts
(04-15-2013, 11:24 PM)Bluebell88A Wrote: Spot on, thanks!

Something else to clarify in the 4th Edition?

Tim

Vince is correct on all all counts, including the fact that I used the word "influence" to make it clear that a leader can't do anything for units in adjacent hexes in that situation (other than to activate them for the purpose of calling them into the assault hex he's in, after which he can lead them normally as long as they remain in the assault hex with him).