Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cold War PG!
03-27-2013, 06:02 AM,
RE: Cold War PG!
I'd be interested.
No "minor" country left behind...
03-27-2013, 08:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM by Shad.)
(03-27-2013, 04:57 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: But it is so large, it might have to be multi products.

Build it like ASL this time. One countersheet base game with NK and SK forces. Each additional expansion adds a nationality and scenarios - US, CHN, El Salvador (seriously), etc.

Nothing costs more than $30, including the base game.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-27-2013, 09:33 AM,
Think a little bigger for each game and maybe right on for supplements Andrew. There are about 14 nationalities, so I have to figure what will fix in each but for those UNC (United Nations Command) nations that only sent 800 or less troops, might have to be cut. Much to think about here!?
03-27-2013, 11:56 PM,
For the small contingents we may be looking at Gold Club supplements, or that size countersheet for the bound supplement. I would expect that it is doable but the question really is the market for it. As a significant conflict during a period in which the weaponry was similar to WW II it is feasible for PG but the real question is its potential market.

Things going for it include a heavy American contingent and, strangely, current events. Things going against it include the very difficult terrain, the perceptions of a heavy slog (despite the first campaigns being almost exclusively wide ranging affairs from the initial NK attack to the breakout from Pusan and the invasion at Inchon through the invasion of NK and finally the PRC intervention there was plenty of movement) putting it in the WW I type of bucket, fascinating history but not much of a game. Finally after the mobile operations, it had a massive amount of artillery which can serve to make the game kinda slow.

I would focus it on the mobile operations with maybe a few scenarios of the later war grind for flavor and to show that M*A*S*H wasn't completely farcical in its depiction of mangled bodies. This will also limit the need for the UN contingents as they tended to show up in combat somewhat later in the war.

Two base games and a requirement for one of the American games (Saipan possibly). The first with NK and SK units covering the initial NK invasion through the Pusan fights and possibly including Inchon. A second game covering the invasion of the north and the PRC intervention containing PRC and American advanced weapons units, each with 40 or so scenarios, would seem to be about right. The use of a WW II based OB for the Americans for the first scenarios will probably work as the FEC units based in Japan were not top flight units. Where Inchon falls depends on the requirements of the advanced weaponry. I would expect, but am not sure, that there would be little to add to accommodate Inchon. As to sources I have Hoyt's books which cover the first stage of the war, through Inchon, and do get into small unit action descriptions. I don't have much more than that except for Halberstam's The Coldest Winter which is a good read but not so useful for the small unit actions.

Andrew;

How many Iron Curtain owners are there compared to, say, Elsenborn Ridge? That data used to be on the library (number of owners) but I don't see it anymore. This might give us an idea as to the potential market size.
03-28-2013, 03:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2013, 03:27 AM by JayTownsend.)
Matt, once I get all the information gathered, processed, I'll have a better Idea what will work or not and hope AP is on the same page. I already wrote and introductory and started a little bit, just in case but I still won't decide until I see if I have enough information to go forward or not?
03-28-2013, 10:30 AM,
I'd be glad to help Jay, just let me know.
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM,
Thanks Matt! I don't need anything currently but I'll let you know if I do later.
03-30-2013, 07:40 AM,
For Korean starters IMHO and recognize YMMV I say start with one of three things, Naktong bulge, Chosen reservoir or Chipyoung-ni. There's armor for one or both sides, artillery and airpower. In the first there is US Army, Marines, South Korean and North Korean. For the second there is US Army, Marines and Chinese. For the third there is US Army, French and Chinese.

Starting with the initial invasion and only have North Korean and South Korean troops would be a mistake I think. Unless you up through Task Force Smith and the 24 Infantry Division at Taijon.

My main book on Korea is "The Forgotten War".
03-30-2013, 10:36 AM,
Zaarin:

I think we are agreeing. My suggestion focusing on the NK and SK units in a first game assumes that the American units would come from Saipan or something similar. The weaponry of the FEC in Japan where the initial Americans came from was inferior to that which was ultimately deployed in Korea and could therefore be met by using units from previous games.
03-30-2013, 10:44 AM,
Matt, only whole boxed games not dependent on other product will do!