Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cold War PG!
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 02:20 AM by JayTownsend.)
Cold War PG!
I love this subset of Panzer Grenadier: Cold War: Iron Curtain, Secret Weapons, Polish Steel, Patton’s Nightmare, Hammer & Sickle and a few others I missed. I hope this mini-series continues. Maybe add some more supplements with new unit types and maybe a few maps as well.

Maybe add the below for a future module:
• American M103 Heavy Tank
• Soviet Union T-10 Heavy Tank
• British FV214 Conqueror Heavy Tank
• American M47 Patton I
• American M48 Patton II
• Chinese Type 59
• Soviet T-54/55
• British Centurion Mk 5
• Soviet PT-76
• France AMX-13
• France MK 61
• German Jagdpanzer Kanone (JPK)
• American M50 Ontos
• American M75
• American M59
• Soviet BM-24
• China Type 70
• Soviet BTR-152
• France Panhard EBR/FL-10
• British Saladin
• American M42
• Czechoslovakia M53/59
• Soviet ZSU-57-2
• Soviet AT-P
• Soviet K-61

Most of these fall in the years of 1946-1959, with most in the early 1950’s if that will work in the time frame? Maybe some new infantry types as well.
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM,
RE: Cold War PG!
The absence of China from the PG OOB continues to bother me. The fact that we are probably going to see a Middle East PG expansion before a Korean War iteration is mystifying.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM,
Korea is not obscure enough.Smile
03-21-2013, 11:41 PM,
(03-21-2013, 05:34 PM)Shad Wrote: The absence of China from the PG OOB continues to bother me.
I want to see Canadian troops!
03-22-2013, 12:27 AM,
Cold War PG will run into the opposite problems IA had. Namely those are scale space used, and small unit fire power. IA addressed the space issue by putting 6 PG units in a hex (2 companies) and pretending batteries were bigger. Unit fire power was not addressed.

In Cold War PG troops would need to spread out more, perhaps 1 unit per hex in the 50's, few for later scenarios. Units would have higher DF values. How those DF ratings would fit with IC's AK units, GD46 Sturms, and Jay's "super marines" would be a problem. The AT/armor values would only make bigger boomboxes, considering how grainy the AT system is now, this would be worse. Dropping WW1 into the PG system didn't really work, though some changes helped. Putting WW3 & the "Great Peace" in the stem will require substantial changes.

Andrew, I think you addressed your China OOB issue over on ConSim a while back. You said that most of the battles in China are not well, or at least accurately documented. Most of what I have seen about China in WW2 reminds me of the Thai "pajama" War movies (movies about the Siamese wars with their northern neighbors that were mad in Thailand). Perhaps when the CCP falls, or becomes more comfortable with itself, the world may learn interesting things from their archives.

Daniel, Ottavio and I have worked up a very nice Canadian OOB, complete with Rams and Sextons. You start the scenarios.
03-22-2013, 12:43 AM,
Much as I personally would love to see China in PG, I think Dr. Mike has decided that it would not sell well enough to make it worth doing before other projects. I'm fairly sure he's right, and I would encourage him to make what sells (at least for now). Perhaps when the economy improves there will be enough sales of all PG products to justify some of the more esoteric (from an American purchaser perspective, not a World-historical perspective) projects.

I can't understand why we haven't seen Kasserine Pass yet. It has Americans and high(er) name recognition.
03-22-2013, 12:57 AM,
Recognition and accuracy would be more or less solved by a campaign on this guy...

[Image: 2WWstilwell.JPG]

There were two different Chinese sides... we have pretty good records for one of them! Sleepy
03-22-2013, 01:00 AM,
I can think of 3 reasons: M6, M3, Lee. All are small use counters, everything else is redundant. That aside, very little has been published in the PG series dealing with battles when the strategic positions were more neutral. 1943 in Europe and late 1942 in the Pacific are my favorite points in WW2, but no one is really winning then.
03-22-2013, 01:02 AM,
Yeah Vinegar Joe!

Ok, where are the records?
03-22-2013, 01:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013, 01:19 AM by Shad.)
(03-22-2013, 01:02 AM)plloyd1010 Wrote: Yeah Vinegar Joe!

Ok, where are the records?

That's not my job, I just host them! Big Grin

How about this for starters? http://ww2db.com/battle_spec.php?battle_id=143

EDIT - this is a cheap read! http://www.amazon.com/Vinegar-Joes-War-N...+for+Burma