Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Avalanche Press Going Out-of-Business?
06-16-2012, 01:16 AM,
RE: Is Avalanche Press Going Out-of-Business?
(06-15-2012, 11:15 PM)Matt W Wrote: New orders are still under the "eat a bug" guarantee I believe. If they don't ship timely on new orders they have to eat a bug.
I had grasshoppers pizza on many occasions; they're yummy!
06-16-2012, 01:44 AM,
Alas, Poor Yorek (hey, it fits here), the reality of business is that they are probably doing the most effective thing (from a business standpoint) here. First of all, they are only getting in the components for a hundred (more or less) copies of Kursk a week. This is a big product release for them, and the best thing for AP to do in its recovery is generate new customers who will generate cash flow now and down the line. So, they are getting a lot of the attention now. Will it piss off some existing customers? Definitely. Does it make more sense (from a business standpoint) to say "Okay, Yorek, here's the $40 you prepaid for 2 games back....now let us go sell some more copies of one game at $75 where we're not losing money on them." I don't think there are a lot of old customers at this point saying "Well, if I get my copy of K:SF, I'll go spend $500 more with AP." Either they have been spending it already, or they just want their damn game and then they will wash their hands of the company. New customers, otoh, can generate a lot of cash flow over the years.

I'm not advocating pissing off existing customers. In general, that's not a good way to grow. To me, this is somewhat of a special cases. Its clear old customers are getting copies (I have one, larry has one, Jay has one, I'm sure there are others), and doling them out a few a week (or a few dozen, or whatever) and watching people grumble but then be overjoyed when it shows up while getting fresh money in the door makes sense to me here. Its not a choice I'd want to have to make in Dr. Mike's shoes, and I can definitely see the sense in it.
06-16-2012, 02:16 AM,
I understand your frustration. Copies are getting out to pre-orderers, just not quickly, due to economic difficulties, and using a short order presses to do the counter cutting, map printing, sleeve printing, and the printernator in the home office.

It's quite possible I have mine now (I only ordered 18 months ago) because AVP had to use parcel post to send me 3 black-silk boxes and other smaller items in a recent order. It may have cost no more to include KSF in the box.
06-16-2012, 02:26 AM,
Or it could be that you post a lot and you wave the AP flag a lot, so they wanted to keep you happy. Which, frankly could apply to me and Jay, too.
06-16-2012, 04:13 AM,
I got mine when I got WotE and PL. Again having a current order made it cheaper to ship all of it at once. And then there is that flag waving thing...
No "minor" country left behind...
06-16-2012, 04:27 AM,
(06-16-2012, 04:13 AM)Matt W Wrote: I got mine when I got WotE and PL. Again having a current order made it cheaper to ship all of it at once. And then there is that flag waving thing...
I got mine with EF, a current order. Both games fit perfectly in a single USPS parcel box.

I am a newcomer to the series and as I don't even have an account on Cosimworld (sp?), I doubt I qualify as a flag waver.
06-16-2012, 05:49 AM,
(06-15-2012, 11:53 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
Quote:the reasoning being that current orders pay his bills for fulfilling pre-orders, and new orders need to be encouraged by swift customer service.

What? I am almost at the point of cancelling my Kursk order and demanding a refund.

PY,

In all honesty, Larry says some things (in fact, quite a lot of things) that are unofficial and simply his way for AP apologising. Why he has to say these things I know not.

Larry, I presume you will read this, if so, you should let complainers and upset and unhappy customers that have not had their ancient orders fulfilled vent their frustration without pontificating on unsatisfactory reasons for their lack of games. IT does not do AP any favours either IMO. I'm not even sure why you feel that you have to do this ?
06-16-2012, 06:54 AM,
(06-16-2012, 01:16 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I had grasshoppers pizza on many occasions; they're yummy!

I don't think that Mike and Janet have this option...
06-16-2012, 06:57 AM,
(06-16-2012, 04:27 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I got mine with EF, a current order. Both games fit perfectly in a single USPS parcel box.

I am a newcomer to the series and as I don't even have an account on Cosimworld (sp?), I doubt I qualify as a flag waver.

Next time we play remind me and I can show you Consimworld and the boards, although for PG you may not need them anymore now that we have this one.
06-16-2012, 08:10 AM,
I should be available the next two weekends Matt but not this one. Too many things I have to do around the house.