Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Rules] Loading transport in an assault hex
03-07-2013, 01:49 PM,
Loading transport in an assault hex
This is a question that came up today in my play. Can a previously unactivated weapon unit load onto a transport in an assault hex? You would think not except that I can't find a prohibition on this in the rules.

Comments, answers anyone?
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
03-07-2013, 02:00 PM,
RE: Loading transport in an assault hex
You can. Why would you want to? Are you trying an extraction with some infantry cover?
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013, 02:26 PM by Michael Murphy.)
In my particular situation, I had a full company of German mountain troops assault a 2 lbr ATG trying to load onto a Bren carrier. I realized that I had no rear guard troops left and the gun and APC were otherwise prime targets for instant conversion to scrap metal.
03-07-2013, 09:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2013, 09:41 PM by campsawyer.)
Given the rules as is, this can be a useful tactic if the carrier has DF. Worst case is you lose the gun and carrier, but you have the opportunity tie down the attacking units as well as get a free defensive shot at the assaulting troops. In the best situation, you are able to disrupt or demoralize the attackers, then load the guns while he is recovering and with a lucky withdrawal roll get out of the hex. Given the narrowness of the assault table and the requirement to have a good number of attacking troops to get any destruction result this can tie up quite a few troops very quickly, while being moderately dangerous to the attacker.
03-07-2013, 10:14 PM,
This was *not* a required combat, as the assault had already began a couple of turns earlier. My move was forced on the Brits as their defending infantry failed to recover from DEM status (and thus had to retreat) in the turn before the turn in which I loaded the Carrier.

The whole effort became moot when the loaded Carrier was destroyed by the German "free shot" as it exited the assault hex in the following turn. They had covered the retreat of the Inf, but at the cost of their own existence.
03-07-2013, 11:23 PM,
I understand the flow of your situation, but I would also ask why was the AT gun forced to retreat and why not force the Germans to eliminate it in the hex. The the Bren is a decent unit to hold up the Germans for a turn or two while they have to mass troops for the assault. So go a head and load the AT, but then wait for the Germans to assault it, don't move unless forced by a demoralization. As noted, these guys are likely to die, but with a DF of 6 the Bren can have a decent chance of a cheap M, M1 or M2 that might throw the Germans off and trigger a disruption or even better a demoralization. Then the next turn sneak them out with a lower German "free shot". Worst case is what happened to you, but everything else is a plus to the British, ie, German delay/tied up, lucky demoralization or possible escape.
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM,
5.67 Restrictions
Units being transported may not conduct any type of fire. If a transport has a fire value, it may fire even if it is loaded. In a hex containing enemy units, a unit being transported may unload as a movement action, but it may not load.
03-08-2013, 01:03 AM,
Well Mike, I'd say oysta la vista to that gun. You're gonna get scrabbed by the free shot.
03-08-2013, 01:35 AM,
(03-08-2013, 12:07 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: 5.67 Restrictions
Units being transported may not conduct any type of fire. If a transport has a fire value, it may fire even if it is loaded. In a hex containing enemy units, a unit being transported may unload as a movement action, but it may not load.

Good catch Hugmenot. The gun is going to be destroyed eventually, best to have them go out fighting. Maybe cover the Brens retreat or fight it out, either way tying up enemy units is a good thing.
03-08-2013, 04:11 AM,
Thanks Hugmenot, that's exactly the answer that I was seeking. I didn't think it was legal, but I didn't catch that particular rule. In my situation, the ANZAC's are getting rolled up llike an old carpet in Edelweiss Expanded #2, Open Sights. The Germans already had 3 MTN in the hex and the Bren/AT gun were toast no matter what. Since part of the victory conditions include exiting ANZAC units off the west edge I thought that I'd take the remote chance that I could sneak out. As reported above, the free shot put paid to that notion.

In retrospect I probably should have just left the 2 pounder behind to cover for the Bren carrier. With only an AT strength of 2, and no DF strength at all, it was a loss anyway. I just wanted to see if I could maximize my exited unit total with the gun. The Bren's DF of 6 would probably have been more useful in my final stand.