Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scattered rules
02-05-2013, 11:44 PM,
Scattered rules
Hi,

I have the feeling that the rules of PG are scattered among many games and supplements.

I can see that, for instance, with the rules for the AT Ditch. The scenario book in AK is incomplete, but without you, guys, I wouldn't even know it. And that is not normal.

I don't have all the collection (and I probably never will). So, I am probably missing some rules. How can I be sure I know all that must be known ? Is there somewhere a sort of compilation of all the rules appearing in the serie ?

Or shouldn't we do this compilation, in order to complete the annotated rules ?

It's maybe a stupid idea, or something too big. I don't know the system enough to have a right opinion on this.

What's your opinion ?

Regards,
Manu
02-06-2013, 12:32 AM,
RE: Scattered rules
The 3rd edition rules apply to all games and supplements.

Rules covering terrain such as light woods, AT ditches, jungle, and hedgerows are not always consistent across all games. Sometimes it is by design (hedgerows in Normandy are different than hedgerows encountered elsewhere), sometimes it is because rules evolve.

Some players prefer to use the rule listed in the game or supplement of the scenario they are playing while others prefer to play with their favorite interpretation. It's no big deal either way.

But what you say makes sense and I will see if I can collect all the different terrain rules under one document in the next few months.
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM,
Thank you for your answer !

Such a document exists at the Yahoo Group. But there are mistakes (eg : AT Ditch blocks LOS) or missing things (eg : the +1 modifier for assault combining infantry and tanks given to Americans after 1943).
But you can certainly use it as a base.
02-06-2013, 03:56 AM,
The rules have always been an issue. There is still clarifications going on with this stuff. But one thing that is consistent is that scenario specific rules should override what the standard rules say, particularly with terrain when playing for the supplement.
02-06-2013, 04:10 AM,
As a solo player, I find the terrain and other special rules to be slightly out of synch between different games, modules, suplements, what-have-you. As Hugmenot says above, some rules have evolved over the years. As a general rule of thunb, I tend to play using the latest rule or (un)official ruling. I've been with the system long enough (sincce 2001) to understand the subtle changes. It isn't a big deal to me.

If you play solo, just decide which way to play a particular rule or terrain feature and stick with it. If you play FTF just take a moment to discuss these with your opponent so that you are both clear on which way to play. None of the rules are Gospel. The key word in my little memo here is play. Have fun, blow up some tanks, overrun a position, or whatever. Just have fun with PG. That's the whole point to the game.

My 2ยข worth, nothing more.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
02-06-2013, 07:14 AM,
Perhaps we can add a page for each game/supplement: Special Rules .

All the special rules could be reprinted that way.

I'd be up for data entry, it's pretty easy with a scanner and reader software.
02-06-2013, 07:51 AM,
I'd be good with the data entry as well.
No "minor" country left behind...
02-06-2013, 06:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM by Memenne.)
Quote:If you play FTF just take a moment to discuss these with your opponent so that you are both clear on which way to play.
Indeed, this is the best way to go. But as a beginner in the system, I have no idea if a variation in a rule changes the game dramatically or not. Now, I can see that those variations are not critical as they concern specific points. The core system is wel defined.

Quote:Just have fun with PG. That's the whole point to the game.
I totally agree ! Shy
02-06-2013, 11:19 PM,
Yep, Welcome to the PG world, The 3rd Edition rule book is the universal rule book for the system however, there have been numerous additions in the various games and supplements that have come out over the years. Mainly in terrain changes with light woods, hedges etc. There are at least three different versions of the surrender rules not to mention INF A/T capabilities and INF units pushing A/T and INF guns. When I first started playing I insisted on playing the rules as written for the game we were playing, so for example I would not let INF move 37 A/T guns in EFD because there are no rules for it in EFD. I now think this is wrong and you probably should incorporate new rules from later supplements if they are obviously compatible.
The problem then of course is remembering which rule you are using. If Vince is reading this he will have a wry smile as I remember I would not let him push some guns in an early East front battle as that was not in the rules.
Of course if you are soloing do what you like.
In FtF play agree with your opponent before you start as to what "special rules" you will be using.
And most of all have fun, its a great game system even with all the rule flaws.