Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AT Ditch
02-04-2013, 06:48 PM,
AT Ditch
Hi,

On the terrain charts I downloaded from the PG Yahoo Group, I see that the AT Ditch blocks LOS and give a -1 column modifier for Direct Fire. And that units therein can be spotted at 3 hexes or less.

But nothing is said about that in the special rules of Afrika Korps or Desert Rats.

Where does it come from ? And are these rules always applicable ?

Thank you,
Manu
02-05-2013, 05:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM by plloyd1010.)
RE: AT Ditch
I don't see anything in the standard charts/rules that have AT ditches blocking LOS. The closest thing I see is that units in AT ditches cannot be spotted more that 3 hexes away. I always took that to mean that AT ditches are a sort of placable limiting terrain. The -1 to direct for is only if the firer is 2 or more hexes away.

The rules in AK/DR only had AT ditches preventing vehicle entry. The rest was added in later games, such as the Invasion of Germany series.
02-05-2013, 11:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM by Hugmenot.)
The AT ditches were defined as "Spotting: limiting terrain" in Carpathian Brigade but was changed to "Units in an AT ditch hex cannot be spotted by enemy units more than 3 hexes away" in Invasion of Germany, the latest supplement describing AT ditches.

Units get a -1 column modifier when hit with direct fire at a range of 2 or more hexes was added after AK and DR, as plloyd noted.

I use the latest rules (i.e. Invasion of Germany) whenever I encounter AT ditches.
02-05-2013, 06:13 PM,
OK, thanks.

The -1 column modifier and the restriction to spotting are also mentioned in the CC : The King's Officers.
But no mention of blocking LOS. This must be a mistake...
02-05-2013, 10:55 PM,
Manu, here are the rules, lifted from Invasion of Germany:
AT Ditches
Anti-Tank Ditch markers denote the presence of ditches dug to prevent the passage of vehicles. As long as a hex contains an AT Ditch marker, no vehicle unit can enter the hex. Units in an AT ditch hex cannot be spotted by enemy units more than 3 hexes away, and get a -1 column modifier when hit with direct fire at a range of 2 or more hexes.

Foot units (only) may remove AT ditch markers by spending a total of five turns filling the ditch. To spend a turn filling a ditch, a unit must begin its activation in the hex with the ditch marker, must be in good order, and must stay there for its entire activation. It can do nothing else during a ditch-filling activation. If two eligible units fill the same ditch during the same turn, it counts as two turns’ worth of ditch-filling, and three units equal three turns. ENG units count double for ditch-filling purposes (each turn they spend ditch-filling counts as two turns). Keep a tally of how many turns of ditch filling have happened in each hex. At the end of the activation when the fifth turn of ditch-filling has been completed, remove the AT marker. The hex immediately becomes eligible for movement by vehicle units when the marker is removed.

We added/expounded:
  • Anti-Tank ditches negate roads in the hex which they are placed. (Seems obvious, but not stated.)
  • Wagons may not enter the hex. (Did you remember they are foot units?)
  • Weapon units may not perform direct or AT fire from an Anti-Tank ditch. Weapon units without a movement factor and not draggable, may not be setup in an Anti-Tank ditch. (Because if you are in the trench, getting the defensive benefit, how could it shoot out? If it could shoot out, what is reason for the modifier?)
02-05-2013, 11:35 PM,
Confused Never heard of Invasion of Germany !!!

Thank you for the complementary information.
02-05-2013, 11:43 PM,
(02-05-2013, 11:35 PM)Memenne Wrote: Confused Never heard of Invasion of Germany !!!

Thank you for the complementary information.

Invasion of Germany is a reprint of 5 10 scenario supplements: Aachen 1944, Siegfried Line, West Wall, North of Elsenborn, and Roer River Battles - all in one book.
02-05-2013, 11:45 PM,
Sounds nice ! Heart
02-06-2013, 05:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013, 05:55 AM by plloyd1010.)
Invasion of Germany is only available via download.

That isn't so bad, firstly because it is cheaper that way, secondly it is easier to enter the errata. IG kept the errors from the original modules, so I would want something that would work with a PDF editor, or a reader that saves comments.

The scenarios are primarily based off of Elsenborn Ridge. That is good because BB2 is one of the better designed stand alone games, and is very good as an introductory game.

That said, you will need
  • Standard strongpoint mix (available via download, in Airborne or Edelweiss)
  • Cassino '44 strongpoints. (you will need to make your own, ask very nicely, or spend money)
  • Battle of the Bulge maps (no longer available separately)
  • Road to Berlin maps (no longer available separately)
  • Volksgrenadiers (available via download)
  • M10 tank destroyers (in Cassino '44, or make your own like I did)
  • 75/41 ATGs (in Cassino '44, Road to Berlin, or make your own)

Check on the player finder. There are 2 other players in Belgium, maybe they have the games. If you ask nicely, I'll help you make counters.

Read The Siegfried Line Campaign for a thorough background.
02-06-2013, 06:23 PM,
As I have Edelweiss, Battle of the Bulge, Road to Berlin and Cassino'44, I already have the principal.
What I miss are Volksgrenadier. I'll see to make the counters myself, don't want to disturb.

Thank you !
Manu