Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PG Games we DON'T want to see
01-20-2013, 03:56 AM,
RE: PG Games we DON'T want to see
(01-18-2013, 09:11 AM)Dean_P Wrote:
(01-18-2013, 05:39 AM)waynebaumber Wrote: How about "Battle of the Bulge 2" where overweight wargamers try and eat their way to Antwerp while not running out of beer.

Are you sure you aren't talking about Waddle Canal?

No. It would be the 3rd installment of BoB called "Battle of the Bulge 3D" where special rules allow the use of actual beer guts to provide unexpected and hidden movement of combined infantry, mechanized, and what the hell, throw in air units , called "Bierkreigs"....

On second thought, this might be a little too silly...Angel:
01-21-2013, 02:02 AM,
In reality - I am not sure what drives people to really want to Play "Patton's Nightmare"... is there really a market for it?
01-21-2013, 02:51 AM,
(01-21-2013, 02:02 AM)armyduck95 Wrote: In reality - I am not sure what drives people to really want to Play "Patton's Nightmare"... is there really a market for it?

It is and upgrade from Iron Curtain but with a two part installment! It is the Cold War hypothetical and I really liked it for a change, it is kind of fun playing with all those vehicles that never really got battle tested and the big conflict with the Soviets that never happened. Secret Weapon, Polish Steel and a few others kind of falls into this category as well and this part of PG kind competes with LnL World at War series which has a whole following for Cold War hypothetical.

In my opinion, it is good to have but to each their own.
01-21-2013, 03:06 AM,
The Central Front Series from SPI covered modern battles that (thankfully) never came to life and yet, Hof Gao, Fifth Corps, and BAOR were three of my favorite S&T issues.

Playing "what if" situations, especially with new toys, is an attractive proposition to me.
01-21-2013, 09:47 AM,
(01-21-2013, 03:06 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: The Central Front Series from SPI covered modern battles that (thankfully) never came to life and yet, Hof Gao, Fifth Corps, and BAOR were three of my favorite S&T issues.

Playing "what if" situations, especially with new toys, is an attractive proposition to me.

Oh, I know there is a market for late Cold War -I grew up on NATO, MBT, Team Yankee, GDW WWIII, etc. and have LnL WaW B&Bs, and certainly love playing the what if conflicts. It is what I do for a living- my last job was campaign planning for the "next" Korean conflict. I get it, and own Cold War and will probably buy Patton's Nightmare and Hammer and Sickle.
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM,
This two part makeover of Cold War has a coherent starting point, unlike Cold War, which was pretty much a random collection of scenarios with multiple start dates. Polish Steel almost integrates into the story line, and could be re-issued as a followup to a BAOR book.
01-21-2013, 01:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM by larry marak.)
Another title. Mind the Gap. A Seelowe boxed game covering urban fighting in Cardiff and London. 6 maps, 400+ counters. Special Metropolitan Police recon units representing our 2 Yardies on this board.
Includes a Stay Calm and Carry On poster.

Actually, I'd be willing to buy this title. Really interesting 1940 come-as-you-are orders of battle for the Germans and British reservists.
01-22-2013, 02:14 AM,
Not a PG theme- but what about the Final Countdown? SWWAS Midway game mixed with Harpoon as the 80's Nimitz takes on the Imperial Japanese Fleet?
01-22-2013, 03:11 AM,
Don't forget to include the original Squad Leader. If you looked closely you could see the off-duty contingent playing SL on the messdecks. In fact, I occasionally saw our messdecks overrun with wargamers as well.
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
01-22-2013, 04:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 04:27 AM by rerathbun.)
Quote:what about the Final Countdown? SWWAS Midway game mixed with Harpoon as the 80's Nimitz takes on the Imperial Japanese Fleet?

Sounds like a good scenario for a Halloween Daily Content after volume 2 or 3 of Modern War at Sea gets released (I'm assuming volume 1 will be the introductory game and cover the 1982 Falklands/Malvinas War)