Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm lost!
01-01-2013, 02:47 AM,
I'm lost!
Hi there! New member here and I am REALLY glad to see PG-HQ added a forum! I've spent some time here the past few days and I am enjoying the forum....enough to keep coming back every day so far.

My problem is, I'm a bit lost. There are so e features to this site that look fascinating, but their use escapes me. Could be because I'm on a long awaited vacation and my mind hasn't been this free in years Tongue. .....but, I'm getting a bit frustrated finding my way aroun.

For instance.....I saw a post in which the member mentioned '....you can see my games in my list'. I then remembered inputting my games and thinking at the time I needed to go back in and update it, as I was going on memory. It took me awhile yesterday, bouncing back and forth between my User CP and the guide links to finally find it and update it....yet, ask me now and I can't remember how I got there!

The member that invited me here just asked in a PM...what games do I have? Well, pointing him to my list here at PG-HQ would be the easiest way of accomplishing that. See where I'm going with that?

I see that members get ribbons for completing games. Cool. Not that my world revolves around such things but, it's a nice touch. What I don't know is, how does it work? Complete how and when, and report it how?

Just examples.....I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go. But, perhaps it'd be worth looking into a New Members Orientation thread of some sort?

Not being critical here. Just want to get the most of the site. I saw the article in BGG and CSW vs PZ-HQ. I couldn't agree more....PZ-HQ is the nexus of the PG community as far as I'm concerned, and I've only been a member a few days! You've obviously made a great impression on me, for whatever that's worth Angel
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

http://www.militarywargaming.com
01-01-2013, 05:07 AM,
RE: I'm lost!
I will step up to try to answer some of these questions as the forum guru, Shad, is some where in the midst of vacation.

First, your list of game is under "My PG-HQ" on the left side. If you are not login, you will get prompted. and from here your can scroll to see your stuff. To update go to the "Profile" on the submenu for "My PG-HQ".

As for the ribbons, they are for completing all the scenarios in a game/supplement/book/other. Just play them all and you get a ribbon. If you are the first, you can email Shad with thoughts about what this will look like,usually something around the game/supplement theme.

The one accolade that is a little trickier is rank. You will see on your "My PG-HQ" page the number of games until the next rank. Play that many and you will increase in rank, but it is on a sliding scale so as you get higher the more games you need to get to the next rank. But you can always find them on your page.

The one point that I did not mention is how to add a "play" of a scenario. Under "My PG-HQ" you will see "Records and AARs". This is the spot to add the plays as well as an AAR for your comments on the play. These also can be read next at the top of the home page or under each scenario. This is a good spot to see how others play as well if a scenario is good or is a dud.

Lot's of other stuff to look at as well, such as the annotated rules. This can help clarify some of the obscure or odd rules in the standard rule set.
01-01-2013, 07:16 AM,
Awesome....thank you very much for the clarifications. That helps a lot and I appreciate it.
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

http://www.militarywargaming.com
01-08-2013, 07:11 AM,
(01-01-2013, 02:47 AM)whiterook Wrote: Just examples.....I'm sure I'll figure it out as I go. But, perhaps it'd be worth looking into a New Members Orientation thread of some sort?

My site design mantra has always been "I can get anywhere in 3 clicks or less". This means our menus tend to be wide rather than deep. For an experienced user is works great, but for a newcomer I think you're right - we're getting a little overwhelming in the initial stages of becoming comfortable with the site.

As we approach our third birthday, an article along the lines of what you can do with PG-HQ! is probably warranted.

For now, please feel free to post immediately whenever you have questions. We've got a very friendly bunch of members who are always eager to help out rookies.

Also, thank you to Alan for bailing me out while I was on holiday suffering mightily in the mid-70s & sunny Florida winter! Big Grin
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-08-2013, 12:00 PM,
Quote:Also, thank you to Alan for bailing me out while I was on holiday suffering mightily in the mid-70s & sunny Florida winter!

You owe me a trip to Florida Wink

Oh, wait I am going at the end of January and getting paid for it. Tongue
01-08-2013, 10:11 PM,
(01-08-2013, 12:00 PM)campsawyer Wrote:
Quote:Also, thank you to Alan for bailing me out while I was on holiday suffering mightily in the mid-70s & sunny Florida winter!

You owe me a trip to Florida Wink

Oh, wait I am going at the end of January and getting paid for it. Tongue

You lucky lucky luck b______d. Wink
01-09-2013, 12:31 AM,
(01-08-2013, 12:00 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Oh, wait I am going at the end of January and getting paid for it. Tongue

Say hi to all the hot babes for me! Tongue

...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
01-09-2013, 12:42 AM,
Cap'n, thar be whales here!
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
01-09-2013, 03:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013, 03:12 AM by plloyd1010.)
Quote:"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr
Keep in mind Joffre said it before Patton did. Foch called him on it. Who got fired, who had the carrier named after him?

Anyway, what exactly are you trying to do with the site? Apart the can't find your way around issue, I didn't get a clear idea of what you wanted to get around to. Do put your PG up in your profile though.

Were you one of the newbies that Tony and I directed over here from Yahoo?

P.S. Alan Axelrod said Patton said it. I haven't seen that quote attributed to Patton by anyone else (before Axelrod).
01-09-2013, 02:00 PM,
(01-09-2013, 12:31 AM)Shad Wrote:
(01-08-2013, 12:00 PM)campsawyer Wrote: Oh, wait I am going at the end of January and getting paid for it. Tongue

Say hi to all the hot babes for me! Tongue

I think the King Tigers were small than that guy.