Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Original?
12-30-2012, 05:31 AM,
The Original?
I saw on BoardGameGeek that there was 1998 version of PG that I wasn't familiar with....

It also mentions it was re-implemented by Eastern Front. What's the deal with this? Are all the components in Eastern Front the same as this older version? Is this older version obsolete, via upgraded unit counters, maps, etc.?

Just curious
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

http://www.militarywargaming.com
12-30-2012, 09:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-30-2012, 09:07 AM by Matt W.)
RE: The Original?
PG is the granddaddy and includes mounted boards, but only 1,2,3 and 8. Boards 4 and 6 were published in Heroes of the Soviet Union. Boards 5 and 7 were only published once EFDx came out from my understanding.

Panzer Grenadier has 51 scenarios (52 if you count the Vorontsovo campaign that links three of the scenarios). I beleive that all of the scenarios were repeated in some fashion in EFDx. The pieces are slightly different than EFDx and do not include any of the Romanian pieces which were added to EFDx to handle the 30 or so scenarios that include them (mostly the recapture of Bessarabia and the fight for Odessa and the Crimea) although they do include the infamous Grille (a truck mounted gun). If you have EFDx you aren't missing much but some of the scenarios (e.g. Sneak Attack) are actually better in the original.

Several of us have considered the older products (e.g. Airborne, Battle of the Bulge, Panzer Grenadier, Heroes of the Soviet Union, etc.) to be somewhat dated in comparison to newer products. I have them all anyhow and enjoy each one for what they are.
No "minor" country left behind...
12-30-2012, 09:28 AM,
(12-30-2012, 09:04 AM)Matt W Wrote: PG is the granddaddy and includes mounted boards, but only 1,2,3 and 8. Boards 4 and 6 were published in Heroes of the Soviet Union. Boards 5 and 7 were only published once EFDx came out from my understanding.

Panzer Grenadier has 51 scenarios (52 if you count the Vorontsovo campaign that links three of the scenarios). I beleive that all of the scenarios were repeated in some fashion in EFDx. The pieces are slightly different than EFDx and do not include any of the Romanian pieces which were added to EFDx to handle the 30 or so scenarios that include them (mostly the recapture of Bessarabia and the fight for Odessa and the Crimea) although they do include the infamous Grille (a truck mounted gun). If you have EFDx you aren't missing much but some of the scenarios (e.g. Sneak Attack) are actually better in the original.

Several of us have considered the older products (e.g. Airborne, Battle of the Bulge, Panzer Grenadier, Heroes of the Soviet Union, etc.) to be somewhat dated in comparison to newer products. I have them all anyhow and enjoy each one for what they are.

Thanks!!! Big Grin great synopsis!
"YOU ARE NOT BEATEN UNTIL YOU ADMIT IT. HENCE, DON'T..." -- General George S. Patton, Jr

12-31-2012, 03:09 PM,
Whiterook, it's great to see you here my friend!
01-01-2013, 03:04 AM,
(12-31-2012, 03:09 PM)Hagen Wrote: Whiterook, it's great to see you here my friend!

Thanks Hagen.....a forum devoted to PG was the best find of 2012 for me, and just in time, too! It's fired me up big time to get back full tilt into the series. I've got games still in shrink wrap! Confused