Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dug in & Assaults
12-27-2012, 12:35 PM,
Dug in & Assaults
I been giving some thought to assault combat abd dug in status. If a unit is in an entrenchment defending, it receives a -2 column shift benefit in an assault. Why not a -1 if it is dug in?

I think of entrenchments as a heavier version of dug in. Should a unit defending in an assault haver some benefit of dug in?
12-27-2012, 12:46 PM,
RE: Dug in & Assaults
I believe that dugin is to be just a hasty defense, ie taking advantage of cover that is already there or just digging some shallow foxholes. So in an close-in assault this may not be as advantageous as positions as well prepared locations as entrenchments are. So dugin get some sort of ambush but once fired they are exposed.
12-27-2012, 03:50 PM,
That's how I've always looked at it, too.
12-27-2012, 06:09 PM,
(12-27-2012, 12:35 PM)Diocletian Wrote: I been giving some thought to assault combat abd dug in status. If a unit is in an entrenchment defending, it receives a -2 column shift benefit in an assault. Why not a -1 if it is dug in?

I think of entrenchments as a heavier version of dug in. Should a unit defending in an assault haver some benefit of dug in?

They do get first fire and this can be very advantageous of itself
12-28-2012, 01:26 AM,
I agree the 1st fire is very powerful. When you get to the point where there's at least a 2/3 chance of getting some result, being able to disrupt or demoralize an incoming attacker before he gets to shoot at you can really rain on the assaulter's parade.