Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Still more sales of PG games
12-20-2012, 03:22 AM,
Still more sales of PG games
I'm sure everyone here has them already, but check out the 12 days of Christmas sale over at Avalanche. With the gold club discount that makes Bulge and Desert Rats $24 each, as well as Cruiser Warfare and GWAS Med.

Now the big question is why? What does this say about the health of AVP 18 months into recovery mode?

I was looking into picking up a spare copy of Desert Rats and Beyond Normandy on the used market for the maps and counters. Might as well get them cheaper new:-}
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM,
RE: Still more sales of PG games
As a newbie, I only have Guadalcanal! Very good news!
warstudent aka Jim
12-21-2012, 01:56 AM,
(12-20-2012, 01:45 PM)warstudent Wrote: As a newbie, I only have Guadalcanal! Very good news!
This is your day, Warstudent! Not only are there plenty of "core" games reduced, but it you are a gold club member you get an extra 20% off...thus Cassino is available to you for $40 dollars as a gold clubber, 60% off the list price.
12-21-2012, 11:49 PM,
Hey Larry, I have a spare Desert Rats I was looking to move. I was asking $25.00 for it (plus postage, so it will probably be around the same as AP's total). Also a spare original PG if anyone's interested.

Anyway, about the health of the company, AP has done 12 days of Christmas sales every year for the last several. GMT has a fall sale. MMP has a Black Friday sale. VPG had a Cyber Monday sale. Its a "clear off inventory at year end so our numbers look better" sort of deal more than anything, I'm sure. They have extra copies of these and want the shelf space. With APL moving to Print on Demand, why would they need to keep hundreds of copies of some of these games around. It doesn't worry me at all.
12-22-2012, 01:00 AM,
Quote:Anyway, about the health of the company, AP has done 12 days of Christmas sales every year for the last several. GMT has a fall sale. MMP has a Black Friday sale. VPG had a Cyber Monday sale. Its a "clear off inventory at year end so our numbers look better" sort of deal more than anything, I'm sure. They have extra copies of these and want the shelf space. With APL moving to Print on Demand, why would they need to keep hundreds of copies of some of these games around. It doesn't worry me at all.

Yes, I remember there black box sales prior to the 12 days of Christmas. This was a where I was able to get most of PG and WAS games. Good times, Good times...

APL seems to be the perpetual Phoenix of the game world. So they will still be around as long as MB hanging in there.
12-22-2012, 01:28 AM,
Here's a question - You have two games you can buy and you want GWAS and PG -

GWAS: Mediterranean or Jutland?
PG: Beyond Normandy or Cassino '44?

You know my collection of PG (via the profile page) and the only GWAS titles I have are Pacific Crossroads and Plan Crimson.

I am having a hard time deciding. Smile
12-22-2012, 01:48 AM,
I'm not sure this is cool and I'll delete it if it's not, but I am unloading my personal PG collection.

As for the sales over at Avalanche Press, I feel like some of these titles have been around for a long time and have always basically been in print. I imagine most people who wanted Desert Rats have probably already picked it up, so without an incentive to rope in some new customers, they probably just sit there.
12-22-2012, 01:49 AM,
I'd get Cassino '44 and Mediterranean. Cassino doesn't have so many of the controversial hedgerows and hills/limiting terrain issues as Beyond Normandy, and the Med scenarios tend to be more reasonably sized, and because you're in a relatively tight quarters, good chances for contact.
12-22-2012, 02:52 AM,
(12-22-2012, 01:49 AM)J6A Wrote: I'd get Cassino '44 and Mediterranean. Cassino doesn't have so many of the controversial hedgerows and hills/limiting terrain issues as Beyond Normandy, and the Med scenarios tend to be more reasonably sized, and because you're in a relatively tight quarters, good chances for contact.

I would only offer this (gentle) caveat to J6A's reply: BN's rules are only problematic if you are playing vs. another live opponent with whom you must agree. If you play solo, then you can decide how you wish to play it out and go from there (personally, I prefer RaW for BN rather than the 3rd ed. overlay used in C&C:WitH) or, even play test the different schema.

I've not played any Cassino, but I've enjoyed the BN scenarios I've played up to now - perhaps in part because I've read several accounts of the fighting depicted there (bias alert). TheDoctor, however, likes both games (and he's completed Cassino) so ...
12-22-2012, 02:55 AM,
Like Joshua, I do not find anything unusual about the sale except for one (positive) consideration.

I suspect the items on sale were all announced at the same time to raise more cash than in previous years. This makes a lot of sense to me if the components from the next die-cut game were ready to be sent to the printer.