Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time to revisit Disorientation in the jungle?
12-16-2012, 09:02 AM,
Is it time to revisit Disorientation in the jungle?
I've been playing some Nihon Silk in which the battlefields are jungles. According to the disorientation rules, any unit entering a non-road/trail jungle hex from another non-road/trail jungle hex have to check for disorientation. The only exception is if the unit in question starts or ends such a move adjacent to an enemy unit.

Why wouldn't a unit be also be exempt from disorientation if it passes through a jungle hex while entering a creek hex? You would think that if a unit can follow a road or a trail it could also follow a small creek without losing its way. In reading the first iteration of the disorientation rule (in Guadalcanal) I see no mention of creeks. That's probably because of the nature of the Guadalcanal maps.

The Guadalcanal maps are not overly endowed with creek hexes. The jungle boards (34 and 35) do have a lot more creeks and I think that this issue should be at least revisited. What say you guys?
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
12-16-2012, 08:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012, 08:13 PM by vince hughes.)
RE: Is it time to revisit Disorientation in the jungle?
I guess it would be a question of how many creeks were marked on real maps at the time ?

Would creeks be so numerous and inter-twining in jungles as opposed to an ordered European terrain so as to make their recording on a map of the jungle superflouous ?

Not an answer, just a thought.