Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More almost done with formations.
12-11-2012, 04:02 AM,
More almost done with formations.
Apart from the Soviets, all countries have been completed, except for transitory formations. I define transitory formations as task forces, kampfgruppes, columns, and (unfortunately) American combat commands. I intend to eventually work these in a short term parent formations. I don't know if that will give Shad any more work, we'll need to see. The formation lists generally go from unique battalions up to the division level. Generic formations were merged into their parents. Above the division level was merged into the national/branch “army”. There were exceptions of course.

I tried to follow what might be called national references. For example, in the U.S. we say armor, while the UK/CW guys say armour, and the Germans say panzer. It got a little more complicated with Latin based notation. Ottavio was tremendously helpful with the Italian formations. Fortunately I work with a Parisian to help with French designations (I had hoped to get hold of a French wargamer or Phillipe Leonard). Spanish wasn't important, as Blue Division is mostly German referenced, and I had no framework for Romanian formations. Mixed nationality formations did create a few gaps. Overall I don't think I messed up too much.

Matt, if you could take a look at the Slovakian formations and give some feedback, I would appreciate it. I got a little creative with the lineages, but nothing too absurd. Ottavio, you might give the Italian formations a final look and blessing. Any other historian/gamer reviews are also welcome. If something looks weird, please check the notes before commenting.

After I complete the current Soviet formations, I need to clean-up parent/child formation overlaps. That is occurrences like 10th Regiment, 2nd Division. While this is good in the scenario narrative, it causes a double reference in the formations. somewhere in there I need to add scenarios for the newer PG modules & games.

For those of you who just want something to play, I suggest:
  • Heer's Grossdeutchland Regiment/Division/Corp. It is probably the longest running formation in the series.
  • SS 2nd “Das Reich” Division has a long list of scenarios.
  • Italy's 132nd “Ariete” Division has always been a favorite of mine. It has a lot of work to do over 3 games.
  • Japan's 28th Regiment appears in Power of the East. After suffering terribly there, it was sent to sunny South Pacific to fight on Guadalcanal.
  • Don't forget the 1st Marine Division. They are almost mythologized in American history.
  • Much like the Desert Rats. (Who later went to India, that's a hint for you creative guys.)

Now go find your favorites!
12-11-2012, 04:48 AM,
RE: More almost done with formations.
Pete,

Hold off on Kursk-Saipan formations until I upgrade our scenario data editor to support them. I will put some serious hours into finishing up the formations code in January.

Thanks for all your, honestly extreme, efforts on this!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
12-11-2012, 04:51 AM,
RE: More almost done with formations.
Don't worry Drew. There are still 600 Soviet formations to weed through. Remember how long the Germans took?, this longer. Especially with the Soviet habit of renaming and resurrecting units.