Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guns of August (NOT Avalon Hill)
12-09-2012, 05:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 05:38 AM by vince hughes.)
Guns of August (NOT Avalon Hill)
Just picked up Worthington games offering of the 1914 WW1 battles on the Western Front"Guns of August"

I've always enjoyed playing The Great War games and as they have recently released "Guns of Galicia" I thought it might be a good time to pick up the first title before it has gone and fetches too much elsewhere on bidding sites and also, if it is good, not to fall to far behind in a series of games I think I'm gonna like.

Jay will understand this and that is my first job is to break the counters out and clip them. (I actually craft knife the corners rather than use other contraptions). These look nice being the same size as the PG counters. I do find the old ASL size counters to seem so small nowadays, so that is an added bonus.

Just an 8 page rulebook is happy news. I just don't find myself having the verve to read through reams of rules anymore.

Couple of down points I have noticed upon opening the box and inspecting contents. The map has a horribly 'light' overprint of a hexgrid. So much so that it is a little difficult to see in places.

Secondly, Sacre Bleu ! Or should that be Sacre Rouge ! The French counters have a red background rather than blue. Apparently the logic in this pertains to the at the time French trousers "Les Pantalon Rouge". Therefore drawing from the quote of a French minister some years before the war when challenged as to the sense in using red breeches rather than dark ....

He replied in obvious horror at the challenge ... "Les pantalons rouge, c'est France" !