Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operation Dauntless
06-10-2012, 08:02 AM,
Operation Dauntless
This game just made the cut at GMT -- although it could be a year (years?) before it ever ships...

Operation Dauntless

Scale is one step up from PG (counters in OD are companies) but it's an interesting system and covers an area/ time frame immediately before PGBN. Map based on archival aerial photos. vassal module in the works too.
06-10-2012, 08:09 AM,
RE: Operation Dauntless
Looks very nice and GMT does provide outstanding VASSAL support. Any word on whether this is a one-off or a planned system? You did use the s-word in your post... :-)
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-10-2012, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM by broadsword.)
It's a system and OD is #2. More are planned (although heaven knows if we'll still be alive and gaming by the time they ever see print). Here's what the GMT site says about the system:
--
The game by designer Mark Mokszycki uses the same system as Red Winter, his game on the Battle of Tolvajärvi from the Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939. The scale and key mechanics of Operation Dauntless are the same as Red Winter. Proposed future games in the series include Red Winter 2: The Battle of Ägläjärvi, Guadalcanal Land Battles, Scottish Corridor: The Battle for Cheux, and the Breaking the Panzers expansion for Operation Dauntless, covering the German counterattack at Point 110 (all are working titles and subject to change).
--
So if the system catches on, it could become a worthy competitor to PGBN some day.
06-10-2012, 02:05 PM,
(06-10-2012, 09:58 AM)broadsword Wrote: It's a system and OD is #2. More are planned (although heaven knows if we'll still be alive and gaming by the time they ever see print). Here's what the GMT site says about the system:
--
The game by designer Mark Mokszycki uses the same system as Red Winter, his game on the Battle of Tolvajärvi from the Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939. The scale and key mechanics of Operation Dauntless are the same as Red Winter. Proposed future games in the series include Red Winter 2: The Battle of Ägläjärvi, Guadalcanal Land Battles, Scottish Corridor: The Battle for Cheux, and the Breaking the Panzers expansion for Operation Dauntless, covering the German counterattack at Point 110 (all are working titles and subject to change).
--
So if the system catches on, it could become a worthy competitor to PGBN some day.

I have played the system and it is fun. You are correct a step up from PG, no pesky leaders and morale is more abstract. They do have interest SSR's and the combat it more that an operational level game. This looks like fun once it is ready to go.
06-10-2012, 03:03 PM,
So Red Winter finally came out? It felt like that was first kicked around on BGG years and years ago...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-10-2012, 10:21 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2012, 10:22 PM by campsawyer.)
(06-10-2012, 03:03 PM)Shad Wrote: So Red Winter finally came out? It felt like that was first kicked around on BGG years and years ago...

It was in a playtest kit a while ago Wink
06-29-2012, 01:43 PM,
I received Red Winter last night and the whole game has very excellent components, with that said I also have Operation Dauntless on pre-order. It looks like it will be a great series but still second to my PG.

I don't have time to play Red Winter for a while, as I am still giving Kursk South Flank most of it presently but I am looking forward to Red Winter soon. With that said, I think I'll go admire the component in the Red Winter box again, before I have to go to sleep! Smile
09-25-2012, 02:18 PM,
Update, Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajarvi, Finland 8-12 December 1939, is an excellent game, fantastic components: Map, counters, rules, playbook, carts and game play. I am looking forward to Operation Dauntless as the second game.