Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defending The Westwall : An End Of Series Review
12-06-2012, 03:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM by waynebaumber.)
RE: Defending The Westwall : An End Of Series Review
Great write up Vince , you obviously though have too little to do at work.

Anyway I will try and add some comments on the scenario's we played.

Scenario One "A Bitter Irony" was an excellent game and one which could have gone either way,

Scenario Two "Reconnaissance in Force" Thank you for the kind comments it helped that I had solo'd Roer River Battles 2 which though smaller has the US facing minefields and entrenchments and gave me the idea of using M3's to clear the minefields. I do think your minefield was too linear in this one as once I had found the gaps in I came. Perhaps a hedgehog of mine fields around the last positions would have proved fatal to the attack. Good scenario though.

Scenario Three "If Only He Could Cook" was also a cracking scenario and one I enjoyed, though strangely I can not remember why.

Scenario Four "Filling the Gaps" Standard scenario nice change for the Germans as this was a meeting engagement, I think you had a little better luck in this one at the right time.

Scenario Five " Dueling for the High Ground" Here I was well beat by a good set up which I found too hard to crack. I did not play well and in the end frustration got the better of me and I charged your bloody Panthers with disastrous results. Oh when will I ever learn.

Scenario Ten "Like a Dose of Salts" This was a real nail biter which I played pretty well and would have been disappointed with not getting the win. I do remember the lucky hit on the Stugs with the off board but I also remember those Volks Grenadiers passing morale check after morale check.

This scenario pack does give the Allied player the sense of batting your head against a wall (appropriately) , very frustrating at times as although you have numbers on your side this advantage is often nullified by German defenses and weather).

The main German advantages are excellent leaders though not as good as 1940/41 leaders. There is nearly always a +2 leader which is more of an advantage in defense than attack. Terrain and better tanks.

The US forces are more numerous, have better OBA and good if not great leaders.

All in all a good selection of balanced scenario only Scenario 5 in my view favours the Germans and scenario 10 favouring the US. I am playing Crocodile Rock as the Germans against Mr Ladd which makes a nice change I can't wait to get those Tigers.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Defending The Westwall : An End Of Series Review - by waynebaumber - 12-06-2012, 03:43 AM