Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Field Commander Napoleon
06-10-2012, 07:01 AM,
Field Commander Napoleon
Picking up Field Commander Napoleon tomorrow having got it from a BGG seller. He happens to be passing my way tomorrow on way to a convention, so zero postage and snapped up for £50, a good £25 less than from a proper shop. All he's ever done is unwrap it and never played it... so sounds like a bargain ?

Looks quite luxurious and the solo rules or AI look as if they give the player a genuine challenge from the reviews and vids I have watched. Need some solo games and this looks promising.

Will get in a Guadal solo from PG beforehand though... just one more :-)
06-10-2012, 07:55 AM,
RE: Field Commander Napoleon
I have FC: Rommel, in fact my name is on the box! hehe

I really like it, I also really like Dan. I think he's one of the underappreciated great guys in wargaming.

I hope you enjoy FC:Napoleon!
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-10-2012, 08:41 AM,
I received Field Commander Napoleon for Christmas. I played three campaigns and generally liked them. I was somewhat frustrated with some of the stupid moves made by the AI at times.

Really gorgeous game. Will likely end up on my table two a few times a year for when I want to play something other than Panzer Grenadier.
06-10-2012, 08:43 AM,
FC:Rommel didn't do anything stupid, but to win it forced YOU to basically dash like a mad-man and a winning position on the final turn often looked like suicide if the game/war went on one turn longer. That was Dan's first approach to the system, though, so I'd expect the later titles (Alex, Nappy) to be somewhat more reasonable... within the bounds of the game's complexity (low) though.
06-10-2012, 09:27 AM,
Alex is nothing like Rommel. The enemy forces don't move to engage, there are basically set battle spots. There are still a number of decisions to make and its a very interesting title, IMO. I don't have FC:N yet, I hear very good things about it, though.
06-11-2012, 04:08 AM,
The game arrived today. Or at least I met the bloke selling it to me from BGG (nice guy too, had a good chat before he set-off again) and he handed me the game.

Well, I have no doubt I got a bargain here. Absolutely sumptuous components, and I see Filip Van Boxelar and Martin Gallo (from PG CSW) are credited on the inside boxside. 7 x hard mounted boards and the most smooth pressed counters make it a analog gamers delight.

On reading the rules, I THINK I will have fun, though the combat rules are not as clear as the rest. may watch a few explanatory vids to see this in action.

My plan is to go through these solo games chronologically and play until I get a win before moving on to the next.....

Once more, I really feel like I captured a bargain here. Makes a change from wondering "Did I spend too much" ?
06-11-2012, 07:49 AM,
A few years ago I was in the market for a copy of War of Resistance and after awhile I found a guy selling that lived only 2km from my dad's house, so I just sent pops 'round with some cash. :-) Saved a bundle on that one too!

Enjoy it, Vince!
07-05-2012, 01:22 AM,
I had Field Commander Rommel when it first came out and play all three scenarios twice and then traded or sold the game away, as I didn't ever see me playing it again. It wasn't a bad game, I just grew tired of it.