Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Major Update] Impartial Leader Selector
11-28-2012, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: [Major Update] Impartial Leader Selector
(11-28-2012, 09:52 AM)Michael Murphy Wrote: My phone is still so early -00's. I have to use paper and pen. I haven't forgotten how to do that. Yet.

I'm with you Michael. I'd still have my Star-Tac if it still worked.

Btw, TheDoctor's reaction to hearing about the Impartial Leader Selector (sounds like the Iludium Q36 Explosive Space Modulator) was priceless! Once he resumed breathing, his terse reply was: "I don't like this."
11-28-2012, 02:30 PM,
I have long suspected that the obvious difference in curvature between the "front" and "back" of a traditional die-cut countersheet would strongly influence the outcome of flipping them like coins. Considering that the better half of the leader is often on the front and you have ripe conditions for shenanigans.

When you generate an OOB via the ILS it logs the results automatically. I am very curious to do an analysis in the future on this dataset after, say, 5000 OOBs have been generated.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-28-2012, 11:51 PM,
(11-28-2012, 02:30 PM)Shad Wrote: I have long suspected that the obvious difference in curvature between the "front" and "back" of a traditional die-cut countersheet would strongly influence the outcome of flipping them like coins.

Shad,

Yeah, but TheDoctor's flips and my flips don't manifest this asymmetry in the same way! Angry Serious Twilight Zone stuff here. For example, that recent desert rats SotM: he flipped all but three of the CW leaders to the "good" side; my Italians didn't quite make 50% to the good (I couldn't even channel having been born there). It happens so often this way that it (leader choosing and flipping) becomes something of a drama event for us.

On a "serious" note, this is a great service. Thanks for the effort in putting it together.

PY
11-29-2012, 04:19 AM,
The following games have all of their leaders entered:

Eastern Front
Road to Berlin
Airborne - IE
Afrika Korps

They are ready for anyone to enter the scenario OOBs. Feel free to enter them as you sit down to pick leaders for your current scenario.

Elsenborn Ridge is in progress, with only the Americans entered so far.

For Shad: Since Airborne and Airborne - IE have the same counters, can you quickly and easily copy over the results from IE, or do we need to enter them all by hand again for Airborne?
11-29-2012, 09:14 AM,
(11-29-2012, 04:19 AM)rerathbun Wrote: For Shad: Since Airborne and Airborne - IE have the same counters, can you quickly and easily copy over the results from IE, or do we need to enter them all by hand again for Airborne?

I can dupe it in an instant if they are indeed the same. I'll try and find time to do this this morning.
11-29-2012, 11:52 AM,
Done. Airborne and Airborne - IE are available now. Create your scenario OOBs as needed. It literally only takes a few seconds.
11-29-2012, 12:40 PM,
Elsenborn Ridge leaders are all entered, ready for scenario OOBs.
11-30-2012, 05:41 AM,
Battle of the Bulge leaders are all entered, ready for scenario OOBs.
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM,
Desert Rats leaders are all entered, ready for scenario OOBs.
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM,
Robin, this is a tremendous effort and I (we that all play together) will be looking forward to its first use.

Wanted to ask one Q though.

For most of the Invasion of Germany, most scenarios by far derive their leaders from Elsenborn Ridge. The way leader selection process is set up, it seems we have to wait for each module to be entered on its own standing.

Is there not a way where a player can for example decide he needs 1 MAJ, 2 CAP and 5 LT's for side A and 1 COL, 1 MAJ, 1 CAP and 3 LT for side B from ER but for a different module and simply use the ER module as it is in its current form.

If I understand it right (and do forgive me if I am making an idiotic mistake), we would have to wait until each module is entered before being able to select leaders and there is no system for applying your own leader requirements from a already entered set of leaders. If one can draw their own leader requirements from lets say ER, it would save you having to enter most of IoG I'd guess (which is another full 50 scenarios).

Again, apologies if I have missed the obvious. I am thinking that this may have been done this way as some supplements require different leaders from different packs, such as Red Warriors (leaders needed from EFD, SF and poss RtB and from itself I think ?) Here again, Wayne and I are playing scenario 2 which would only have needed leaders from EFD. I tried looking to see if I could get the application to select the required leaders for a non-listed scenario and could not find a way to do it.