Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Substitutions
11-26-2012, 09:10 AM,
Map Substitutions
Have any of you found yopurself in a situation where you have a published scenario book (like Workers & Peasants, or any other supplement) where you find the scenario interesting, but lack some of the published maps. An example would be you have Eastern Front Deluxe and Road to Berlin, but the scenario requires maps from Buldge or Elsenborne Ridge and you do not own them?

What I have done is take a map from my existing collection that is closest to the one I do not have and substitute it and still play the scenario. Any others do this?

I found if I do not, it almost seems like playing the supplements would be difficult, because you have to own a large majority of the main titles to play the supplements.
11-26-2012, 06:03 PM,
RE: Map Substitutions
Do you still add these plays to the PGHQ played list ? After all, it is not the same scenario with differing terrain.
11-27-2012, 01:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012, 02:09 AM by Poor Yorek.)
RE: Map Substitutions
Subjectively, I see no problem with logging such plays, particularly if the map switch is noted in an AAR. After all, plays are logged solo that must contend in some way with hidden units; or invoke house rules and such; or, for that matter, either unknowingly or later recognizing that some set-up, OOB or play rule was violated (I've noted one or two of these instances in my own AARs). Scenarios in BN will be significantly different depending on whether one plays RaW vs. Doug McNair's overlaying 3rd ed. sighting rules (as in King's Officers). I've always tried to note the sighting rule I use in my BN AARs (usually RaW).

Again, only speaking personally, I don't see the play logs here as being an equivalent to FIDE Chess rankings where controlled conditions dictate, in part, viability of a play.