Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Editing icons on posts
11-19-2012, 12:34 AM,
Editing icons on posts
Shad, it seems the icons right above do not work for me. If I click on Bold, i get undefined tags. Any idea?

I have tried with both Firefox and Chrome with the same results. I have dropped IE, unless I am force, as there are too many other issues with it.
11-19-2012, 01:42 AM,
RE: Editing icons on posts
This works for me in Chrome/Firefox two different ways:

1. I first click the B and it drops in one
Code:
[b]
tag and a dark red
Code:
[CLOSE TAGS]
text appears to the upper right of the formatting bar. Then if I click the B again it will close the tag by inserting a
Code:
[/b]

2. I first type a word, then highlight it and click the B to make it become surrounded by the
Code:
[b][/b]
tags.

What exactly do you mean by undefined tags? And are you using any javascript blocking plug-ins?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-19-2012, 03:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2012, 03:27 AM by campsawyer.)

Pictures worth 000's of words. When I click Bold, I get these tags at the bottom. Also my close tags does not work as well.

No javascript blocking here, I need it for work.
11-19-2012, 08:52 AM,
1. Is this a new problem? or has it always been this way?

2. do the other formatting buttons work and only bold is undefined?

The only change I've made lately is adding the TableGenerator. It may be causing some compatibility bugs and depending on your answer to those two questions I might disable it and we can test again.
11-19-2012, 10:45 AM,
(11-19-2012, 08:52 AM)Shad Wrote: 1. Is this a new problem? or has it always been this way?

2. do the other formatting buttons work and only bold is undefined?

The only change I've made lately is adding the TableGenerator. It may be causing some compatibility bugs and depending on your answer to those two questions I might disable it and we can test again.

1. Recent problem, within last two weeks or so.

2. No none of the formatting buttons work.

I am not sure either, nothing new on my end either.
11-19-2012, 11:01 AM,
Ok, I've deactivated the TableGenerator.

Open a New Reply screen in this thread, do a few force refreshes (Ctrl+F5) to make sure your browser cache is cleared out, and then try to use the formatting bar...
11-19-2012, 11:21 AM,
(11-19-2012, 11:01 AM)Shad Wrote: Ok, I've deactivated the TableGenerator.

Open a New Reply screen in this thread, do a few force refreshes (Ctrl+F5) to make sure your browser cache is cleared out, and then try to use the formatting bar...

Nope, it not your code. Still have a problem. I just checked IE and that works, but Firefox and Chrome don't. Go figure.
11-19-2012, 11:29 AM,
That's really strange, because I use Chrome and FF exclusively and have no problems at all.

I'm on version 23.0.1271.64 m right now.

I'm still thinking this must be a security-related javascript issue. If the underlying PHP code was bad you wouldn't get some people ok/some people broken, it'd just all be broken.

Using Firebug to look at the scripts called, there are quite a few. But I suspect that jscripts/post.js is the one that's not working properly. It seems to be called by a relative path rather than full source link.

That still wouldn't explain why it used to work and now doesn't, though.

Looking at the code therein that's definitely what is throwing out 'undefined' code tags. I'll convert that to a hard source and see what happens, but it'll have to wait until later today.

Please check back in tomorrow and let me know.
11-19-2012, 12:05 PM,
(11-19-2012, 11:29 AM)Shad Wrote: That's really strange, because I use Chrome and FF exclusively and have no problems at all.

I'm on version 23.0.1271.64 m right now.

I'm still thinking this must be a security-related javascript issue. If the underlying PHP code was bad you wouldn't get some people ok/some people broken, it'd just all be broken.

Using Firebug to look at the scripts called, there are quite a few. But I suspect that jscripts/post.js is the one that's not working properly. It seems to be called by a relative path rather than full source link.

That still wouldn't explain why it used to work and now doesn't, though.

Looking at the code therein that's definitely what is throwing out 'undefined' code tags. I'll convert that to a hard source and see what happens, but it'll have to wait until later today.

Please check back in tomorrow and let me know.

No problem, this is a low priority. I would rather you work to get Saipan ready for the scenarios.
11-20-2012, 06:05 PM,
Ok, this should be working again. You might need to force-refresh once or twice to clear your javascript cache.

This bug has a stupid/interesting backstory:

myBB, our forum software, wrote their editor.js script not quite to the spec. However, if you know anything about browsers, you know that they are almost never up to the spec either.

Well... everything was ok until June when Webkit tightened up their javascript parser ever so slightly. This engine change first went to Opera, who update aggressively.

And so Opera users of myBB forums have been dealing with this bug for 5 months... but that's like 5 guys in total because no one uses Opera (Big Grin) so the bug went unfixed in the myBB codebase.

HOWEVER, around the beginning of November Firefox finally updated their version of Webkit to use the new parser as well, and now the editor script is being rejected by all Firefox users... of which there are many times more than Opera. So suddenly myBB's devs had to get off their fat asses and release a patch fixing the sloppy code, which I have just applied.

Long story short - write your code to the fucking spec and none of this would have ever happened, lazy devs!

Let me know it's working for you and I'll stamp this thread resolved.