Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twilight Struggle
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM,
Twilight Struggle
I have never played this game for lack of a regular opponent. But I just found out I can get the deluxe edition here in China at a fair price.

I have two questions:
  1. do you need to be interested in the Cold War to appreciate this game?
  2. how many plays did it take you to "get it"?
Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
06-09-2012, 01:06 PM,
RE: Twilight Struggle
(06-09-2012, 08:30 AM)Shad Wrote: I have never played this game for lack of a regular opponent. But I just found out I can get the deluxe edition here in China at a fair price.

I have two questions:
  1. do you need to be interested in the Cold War to appreciate this game?
  2. how many plays did it take you to "get it"?
Smile

Shad,

I have it. It is a good game, nice history lesson for kids too.

First, question, no you do not need interest in the Cold War, you will learn enough from it and probably peak interest in it. The game plays much different from the standard wargame and very different from PG.

Second, one or two plays will get you the mechanics, but a mastery of it will be hard. Never had a same game twice, but it is definitely a two player game.

On the plus side a computer game is about to be released. Check GMT site and you will see it.
06-09-2012, 01:21 PM,
If I bought it would you be willing to give it a go over VASSAL or wargameroom or whatever? It's lots more fun learning with someone you know. :-)
06-09-2012, 10:34 PM,
(06-09-2012, 01:21 PM)Shad Wrote: If I bought it would you be willing to give it a go over VASSAL or wargameroom or whatever? It's lots more fun learning with someone you know. :-)

Sure, there is a nice Vassal module all though I have not used it. All plays have been FtF. Lot of fun and you may learn something about the early Cold War. A while back I played my game to a local history teacher, he got hooked. Now he uses it in his US history class when they get to it in the curriculum. The kids get a better understanding of the time if they play he says.
06-09-2012, 11:06 PM,
Very cool! I'll let you know if I go through with the purchase :-)
06-10-2012, 07:05 AM,
Shad,

I looked at that too and was highly tempted !

I'm pretty keen on the Cold War and having also served on BAOR, my interest was even more heightened. My old love was GDW's Third World War series, but I think 'Cold War' has some kind of political / spy element too ?

I'd be up for it.
06-10-2012, 07:48 AM,
(06-10-2012, 07:05 AM)vince hughes Wrote: Shad,

I looked at that too and was highly tempted !

I'm pretty keen on the Cold War and having also served on BAOR, my interest was even more heightened. My old love was GDW's Third World War series, but I think 'Cold War' has some kind of political / spy element too ?

I'd be up for it.

I typically don't like card-driven anything, but the initial feedback on TS was so incredibly positive and the setting is so interesting that I kept my eye on it. Now we're 7 years and one deluxe printing later and it's probably GMT's most successful game in history? has better balance, and is still highly praised by almost everyone... figured it might be time to try it. Blush

As for TWW, they're apples and space aliens. The four game TWW set is a hardcore wargame through and through. TS is most definitely not. Same period though.

And if you ever got a chance to play TWW with all 4 modules linked I am very, very jealous! That one's on my grail gaming experience list! Big Grin
06-10-2012, 08:26 AM,
Shad,

The fact they are different beasts is one of the reasons I am tempted. Don't like the same kind of vehicle for any wargame. I know some who have both ASL and ATS for example..... That's a strange one for me.

TWW, we managed to link the 3 x Euro theatres, but never the 4th Middle East one, which would have been fantastic. I always thought the air-war was superbly handled in TWW. Great memories of wargaming that brings back between erm ...... perhaps 85-89 I think ?
06-10-2012, 08:41 AM,
Those games sell for a pretty penny today. A full set of four in used-but-good condition is probably at least $400. Unpunched? Best to sell your car first!
06-10-2012, 09:24 AM,
TS is a great game, IMO. Experienced players have a big advantage from knowing the deck, and the overall theme and the back and forth for political domination, never knowing what your opponent will spring next makes for a lot of excitement. I've also enjoyed the couple of games of 1989, which is based on TS, which I've played.