Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[War on the Equator] Boy do the Ecuadorans stink!
06-09-2012, 01:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-11-2012, 05:32 AM by J6A.)
[War on the Equator] Boy do the Ecuadorans stink!
That is all. Smile

Okay, maybe not. I'm playing scenario 2, and the Ecuadorans seem to run at the first sound of gunfire. Now, it hasn't helped that the Peruvians keep passing morale checks when they have to roll 7 or less, and I don't see how the Ecuadorans can effectively resist (which, of course, mirrors history). Not to mention they are outnumbered and their reinforcements were late in arriving (a bunch of 2-1 units with 2 MP).

The one "downside" for the Peruvians is that they only have 1 tank leader. Therefore they really can't do combined tank/infantry assaults without some of the armor being left high and dry. Of course, I'm not sure they are going to need to do assaults. The Peruvians ran a bunch of units up to the forward town on board 18, and started doing direct fire. The first couple of shots demoralized the Ecuadorans, the next batch started taking step losses to compound demoralization, and now the town is surrounded so there's nowhere to run.

I'm going to finish this scenario (I'm only on turn 7 of 18) and probably play 1 more before moving on to KSF. I don't have room on my table for the 6 mapper so probably scenario 4 is next.

This shouldn't dissuade anyone from playing WotE. Just recognize that if you're playing the Ecuadorans, you might want to consider playing the scenario twice and switching sides. Smile
06-09-2012, 05:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-09-2012, 05:57 AM by larry marak.)
RE: Boy do the Ecuadorans stink!
They were literally a 1918 army trying to fight a modern army that had studied blitzkrieg tactics in Poland and France.
06-09-2012, 08:30 AM,
RE: Boy do the Ecuadorans stink!
And it shows! They actually have relatively decent leadership, and there's a sense of helplessness as these few brave guys try to stem the tide of unmotivated conscripts rushing to the rear. But no real artillery, no armor, no aircraft, no anti-armor, and its no shock they got steam rollered. Its an interesting study.
06-11-2012, 05:33 AM,
RE: [War on the Equator] Boy do the Ecuadorans stink!
The Ecuadorans just lost 8 steps in a turn. I think 2 or 3 of them were from actual fire/assault...the rest were from compound demoralization. It is to laugh (unless you're in the Ecuadoran army, of course).
06-11-2012, 10:24 AM,
They do stink but the bar is incredibly low for them to "win" a scenario. Just played #2 and they managed to contest one town hex and lost something like 18 steps to the 1 I lost as the Peruvian, but they did win the scenario...
No "minor" country left behind...
06-11-2012, 10:48 AM,
(06-11-2012, 10:24 AM)Matt W Wrote: They do stink but the bar is incredibly low for them to "win" a scenario. Just played #2 and they managed to contest one town hex and lost something like 18 steps to the 1 I lost as the Peruvian, but they did win the scenario...
Yes, they did win. All but one of the platoons eliminated or demoralized, or rather all before my lucky red dice came through!
06-12-2012, 03:23 PM,
(06-11-2012, 10:48 AM)Hugmenot Wrote:
(06-11-2012, 10:24 AM)Matt W Wrote: They do stink but the bar is incredibly low for them to "win" a scenario. Just played #2 and they managed to contest one town hex and lost something like 18 steps to the 1 I lost as the Peruvian, but they did win the scenario...
Yes, they did win. All but one of the platoons eliminated or demoralized, or rather all before my lucky red dice came through!

And they won my scenario. There were only about 4 units left, but the Peruvians were cursed with terrible OBA/Air results, a couple of unfortunate FoW turn ends, and on the last turn, the Ecuadorans still had 2 full strength units in the final town hex. The assault didn't demoralize any of them, so there was no way they could get kicked out! There were only about 8 or 10 Ecuadoran steps left on the board (of 33 in the scenario) and a win is a win!
06-14-2012, 01:17 PM,
Yup, they suck and I knew it, and that's why I set the bar so high for Peruvian victory in most scenarios. Now, with the magic of PG-HQ and all those scenario results, it looks like I got it right about two thirds of the time. I'm actually disappointed with "Land, Sea, and Air." It's a wonderful scenario, but I think I set the bar too high for the Peruvians based on the lopsided results recorded here. I actually got to play it FTF with Mike Volpe down in KC, with he as the Peruvians and I as the Ecuadorians. I bided my time to see which avenue of approach he'd take with his motorized units, then made it to the northern road just in time to set up three roadblocks to stop that advance. His elite paratroopers then came in and blew through two of those roadblocks but got stopped by the third, thus preventing the Peruvians from taking the coastal town and bringing the marines ashore.