Poll: For 40 PG scenarios, 4 maps, and 330 laser-cut units direct from AP a fair price before shipping would be:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
sub-$20
0%
0 0%
$21 to $30 range
0%
0 0%
$31 to $40 range
5.00%
1 5.00%
$41 to $50 range
25.00%
5 25.00%
$51 to $60 range
25.00%
5 25.00%
$61 to $70 range (current actual price)
45.00%
9 45.00%
$71 to $80 range
0%
0 0%
$81 to $90 range
0%
0 0%
$91+ range
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PG Pricing
11-16-2012, 05:47 AM,
RE: PG Pricing
(11-15-2012, 10:14 PM)waynebaumber Wrote:
(11-15-2012, 05:33 PM)vince hughes Wrote: To summarise for my stance. PG = Good value, but I do bemoan the lack of editing and development.

I concur with my right Honorable friend

I concur with the Right Honourable W. Baumber's concurrence with the Right Honourable V. Hughes (setting aside my other concerns vis-a-vis APL).

I would prefer a few more scenarios to justify the $60.00-$70.00 range, but certainly, price in and of itself was not stopping me from building up a substantial stock of PG releases.

Confession: where APL could have milked me for the bucks would have been for those oft-noted wish list "goodies" such as Winterized BB maps (set to Reissen's artwork); two-colored sets of M/F and DEM/DIS markers (now remedied by the Right Honourable V. Hughes' generosity); OBA "counters" and such.
11-16-2012, 05:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012, 05:51 AM by campsawyer.)
(11-16-2012, 02:49 AM)larry marak Wrote: Keep in mind EFD was printed in China long ago in a galaxy far away. Under todays' circumstances, EDF would probably be published as 3 games at $70@ over a 3 year period. Mike B. has spoken about extensive components, so maybe he's refering to very large rules and scenario books and extensive use of color on charts. Still, he states that lasering the game would be too costly at the moment.

Its a sad bottleneck. IIRC, the second half of Infantry Attacks was schedualed for the presses, but bumped by KSF, then Maine, then Saipan.

That maybe true, but I believe the size of the market is a bigger issue to price increases. With Saipan, we only see a few hundred copies produced, while just a few years ago Mike B. was trying to push 50k of Kursk. I believe at the time this gave him a lower cost on the printing put left him with a ton of inventory, even after the distributors. What is needed is some one that can do small batches of printing and cutting for a low price. I believe these might be mutually exclusive capabilities in the the printing world.

But with all said our cost to play per scenario is still below $1.
11-16-2012, 06:48 AM,
I believe the boxed games are reasonably priced.

I don't agree with Larry's comment that the supplements with counters are maybe underpriced. Two booklets do not equate a boxed game as they do not include maps nor a good quality box. The $29.99 price point is at or near the top of my comfort level for a supplement with counters.

I also believe that while Elsenborn Ridge is a good entry point to the series, AP should seriously consider publishing a 2-map, 1 1/2 countersheet game with 15-20 scenarios for $34.99 or less once they have reach financial stability. In my opinion, a game such as this one will be needed if AP wants to grow their market quickly. Margins will be awful but that comes with the territory.
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM,
Agreed, an intro game for the series, like Pacific Crossroads for GWAS and Coral Sea for SWWAS. Airborne Introductory was supposed to do that, but was an infantry only game.

Maybe a small collection of Romanian vs Soviet scenarios culled from EDF would do the trick.
11-16-2012, 06:58 AM,
(11-16-2012, 12:51 AM)larry marak Wrote: How much more are customers willing to pay? It sounds more and more like Sword of David will be a EFD sized product priced around $125 if die cut and prohibitively more if lasered. I'm beginning to fear that this may be the back-breaker for AP.
I cannot see myself buying Sword of David immediately upon release if it's priced that high. I may purchase it later if it goes on sale, or maybe not if follow-up products are also in that price range.
11-16-2012, 07:31 AM,
(11-16-2012, 06:58 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I cannot see myself buying Sword of David immediately upon release if it's priced that high. I may purchase it later if it goes on sale, or maybe not if follow-up products are also in that price range.

I won't be buying either purely on subject matter.

Being from London I can just visit Baywater & Golders Green for the two sides of this coin Big Grin
11-16-2012, 10:28 AM,
(11-16-2012, 06:48 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I also believe that while Elsenborn Ridge is a good entry point to the series, AP should seriously consider publishing a 2-map, 1 1/2 countersheet game with 15-20 scenarios for $34.99 or less once they have reach financial stability. In my opinion, a game such as this one will be needed if AP wants to grow their market quickly. Margins will be awful but that comes with the territory.

I think this is a good idea, but I'd go even smaller:
  • 2 geomorphic maps or one largish paper map (Guad size, not AK/DR size)
  • 1 counter sheet with some markers in it like Airborne
  • 10 scenarios
  • $20 to $25 range
They could repurpose one of the myriad Bulge-related expansions like West Wall into a mini-box.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-16-2012, 12:15 PM,
I am Ok with the price point - although I usually can wait until there is a sale through the newsletters or specials to Gold Club members. In fact, since there are alot less sales to rid them of inventory, it makes the GC cost worth it, especially since I still have a few games to add to the collection.

Example, with GC membership and Black November sale, I bought the following from APL:

Fall of France
Arctic Front Deluxe
Golden Journal Winter (Free with GC)

With shipping, the above cost me $65.10 TOTAL. before discounts, the price was $110.00 before shipping. That being said, I wouldn't have a problem paying full price, especially on a topic I enjoyed. I just can afford to be patient.
11-16-2012, 01:24 PM,
(11-16-2012, 12:15 PM)tlangston28 Wrote: With shipping, the above cost me $65.10 TOTAL. before discounts, the price was $110.00 before shipping.

Just to be fair, though, some part of the $35.00 GC membership should be figured back in to this.

Actually, perhaps another thread might be started (if Shad wishes) to poll folks on what they know or estimate their annual GC savings to be compared to its up front price. Might be interesting data.
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM,
(11-16-2012, 01:24 PM)Poor Yorek Wrote:
(11-16-2012, 12:15 PM)tlangston28 Wrote: With shipping, the above cost me $65.10 TOTAL. before discounts, the price was $110.00 before shipping.

Just to be fair, though, some part of the $35.00 GC membership should be figured back in to this.

Actually, perhaps another thread might be started (if Shad wishes) to poll folks on what they know or estimate their annual GC savings to be compared to its up front price. Might be interesting data.

Agreed on that - however, with the $35 I paid back in November of 2011, i have probably exceeded the cost of GC with the savings earned on games purchased.

Since there are still a few more boxed sets for me to get (plus expansions) it probably behooves me to re-up for the GC as the cost/savings balance will most likely be in my favor again.