Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan:LVT's
11-14-2012, 08:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012, 08:46 AM by Shad.)
RE: Saipan:LVT's
(11-14-2012, 07:50 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I have no clue whether this is a better approximation of reality but i would have carried on until the landing crafts hit the beach and then implemented the decapitation.......

NO

(11-14-2012, 08:11 AM)campsawyer Wrote: Take out the Colonel and now one group was stuck at sea right in range......

NO

Alan Don't do this, other LVTs have no idea the Colonel is lost at sea until after they land. I should have written a rule stating this, but it never crossed my mind. Just remember, if it doesn't make sense don't stick to the letter of the law and this is one of those cases.
11-14-2012, 08:31 AM,
Actually Alan, if you ever submit your name as a potential playtester for the PG series, you will have my full support.
11-14-2012, 08:39 AM,
All LVTs APCs head straight for shore even if there is not one leader left! New Rule! Smile
11-14-2012, 08:59 AM,
(11-14-2012, 08:31 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: Actually Alan, if you ever submit your name as a potential playtester for the PG series, you will have my full support.

Thanks, with the little playtesting that has been done, I have been a part of it. Somehow it has dried up again.
11-14-2012, 09:02 AM,
(11-14-2012, 08:39 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: All LVTs APCs head straight for shore even if there is not one leader left! New Rule! Smile

There we go, a decisive clarification.Smile

That's what we need more of, full speed ahead Jay.

BTW, I have to throw this out to you Jay. If you ever feel the need for a Skype game let me know.

Hugmenot, we need to connect at some point for our next Skype game.
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM by JayTownsend.)
The landing scenarios are the ones I was most concerned with, as at PG scale they were a challange to make but I think I did as well as could be without adding 50 new rules and these should play out great!

For some people it will playout differently, as they approach the beaches according the the enemy defensive setups and dice rolls fall one way or the other.

The test of time will tell which ones holdup.

Someday Alan but not presently, as my playing times is at odd hours of the night here and there presently.
11-14-2012, 09:34 AM,
(11-14-2012, 09:19 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: The landing scenarios are the ones I was most concerned with, as at PG scale they were a challange to make but I think I did as well as could be without adding 50 new rules and these should play out great!

For some people it will playout differently, as they approach the beaches according the the enemy defensive setups and dice rolls fall one way or the other.

The test of time will tell which ones holdup.

Someday Alan but not presently, as my playing times is at odd hours of the night here and there presently.

This is why I played this one first, amphibious assaults have been very tricky to model in any game. I am not so much concerned with this single scenario but general amphibious rules and how they play out. Hence the issue on decapitation at sea. I fully believe that this can play out in other ways, depending on setup, dicerolls and player decisions. I would see my play as a word of caution, if they think that the Japanese is a push over for this scenario. They have plenty of punch and the Americans are vulnerable as they approach the beach. I would love to see more plays, heck I may even try it again.

I understand your schedule, just need to toss out the invite every so often.
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM,
I finally setup scenario one today and have played two turns so far. As the Marines I hit the beaches in two general areas and have avioded that 75/88 Japanese gun so far, I have taken a few losses to the AFV/LVTs so far but not too bad considering they took out one step of Japanese Type 95s. A few units have hit the beach but haven't unloaded, the rest are about it land on turn three and the Japanese are spread too thin to defend the whole length of the beaches in any detail but still all that off board artllery will hit again on turn three and might roll better next time and the Marines only have a total of four hours to clear the beach area in detail. Part two when I have time, maybe Thursday!
11-14-2012, 09:22 PM,
(11-14-2012, 03:32 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: I finally setup scenario one today and have played two turns so far. As the Marines I hit the beaches in two general areas and have avioded that 75/88 Japanese gun so far, I have taken a few losses to the AFV/LVTs so far but not too bad considering they took out one step of Japanese Type 95s. A few units have hit the beach but haven't unloaded, the rest are about it land on turn three and the Japanese are spread too thin to defend the whole length of the beaches in any detail but still all that off board artllery will hit again on turn three and might roll better next time and the Marines only have a total of four hours to clear the beach area in detail. Part two when I have time, maybe Thursday!

Curious, where did the 75/88 setup?
11-15-2012, 12:35 AM,
0504 in an entranchment, so I am flanking that position. Most likely not the best setup for that unit but I just want to get a game going.