Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan:LVT's
11-15-2012, 03:22 AM,
RE: Saipan:LVT's
(11-15-2012, 12:35 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: 0504 in an entranchment, so I am flanking that position. Most likely not the best setup for that unit but I just want to get a game going.

Ok, board 81, I assume, as 80 has it on the beach.

I placed it in 80/416. A nice point of land that can command both approaches. Coupled with the 37mm and 47mm out at the fringes of its range makes it possible to get one to two AT shots across each board each turn.
11-15-2012, 03:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012, 03:33 AM by JayTownsend.)
True but my Japanese AT rolls have been pretty bad the first two turns, one was even a 2! I do have 3-4 steps of burning LVT/AFVs buring or sunk however, after two turns.

Turns three and four should be real interesting when I get to them!
11-15-2012, 08:17 AM,
(11-15-2012, 03:32 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: True but my Japanese AT rolls have been pretty bad the first two turns, one was even a 2! I do have 3-4 steps of burning LVT/AFVs buring or sunk however, after two turns.

Turns three and four should be real interesting when I get to them!

Yes, those 2's turn up at the wrong time. Just watch out with that OBA, it gets real nasty at that point. Good Luck with it.
11-15-2012, 04:40 PM,
I got a few more turns in and I am going with the two flanking attacks on either side to create a pincer move as the Marines. I will be racing against the clock. The Marines have taken a few more casualties but the Japanese are really starting to take some losses as well. Nothing like have two Marine Infantry units with a DF values of 10 each plus two LVTs with 6 DF each and a leader with 1 DF for 33 DF point total and adjacent modifier to rock those Japanese defenses. Ok, let see it time and casualties premit? Bang off board artillery is keeping the Japanese in this thing!
11-16-2012, 03:41 PM,
I played through the last 12 turns tonight and did come away after 16 turns with a close American victory. I used the stretched out Japanese lines and hit them on the south and north flanks avoiding the more heavily defeneded middle and brought my two Marines flanks to the middle in a huge pincer, crushing the Japanese in the middle. Believe it or not, from the beaches in there was four hexes clear with only a few scatter Japanese mortars, leaders without units and a couple demoralized Infantry units and one 75mm gun poorly setup to help only a small area. The Americans lost 22 steps however and one or two more heavy artillery shots could have made it a draw but thier luck heldout.

Scenario one an American victory. It was tense the whole game and maybe I should have given the Americans 20 turns instead of 16 but I was trying to minor the real thing at PG scale, as since I won as the Americans maybe not?

I really enjoyed my first real play in Saipan, with the real maps and counters, I hope you guys will as well. Nice change of pace getting into the pacific with those beautiful maps to look at.

Not sure if I will play rest rest in order or not or mixed them up a bit?