Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FoF #17 Piercing the Iron Line
11-10-2012, 12:51 PM,
FoF #17 Piercing the Iron Line
This is quite a scenario for FoF 1940. Massive amounts of infantry, massive amounts of artillery, massive amounts of aircraft and all on less than one board. I started this with my Skype buddy Wayne today and what a battle. His French artillery has done the most damage to score most of the German losses. I though I never would make it to the towns, but eventually did and the assaults went my way, for the most part. We have only been through six turns but it is still close. We have probably 3-4 more sessions to go with this one as it is a tough nut for the Germans. Here is the situation after turn 6.

11-10-2012, 12:54 PM,
RE: FoF #17 Piercing the Iron Line
what are those yellow markers on the far left?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-10-2012, 12:57 PM,
For the scenario, edge of the battle. For PG they are my generic markers for each nationality. I use these for status, vc control, hidden units, etc. These happen to be the Romanian ones that I grabbed to mark the edges.
11-10-2012, 01:04 PM,
They appear to be bits of yellow paper atop regular die-cut counters. Are they affixed or just loose? What are the underying counters?
11-10-2012, 01:14 PM,
(11-10-2012, 01:04 PM)Shad Wrote: They appear to be bits of yellow paper atop regular die-cut counters. Are they affixed or just loose? What are the underying counters?

No, they are printed with the Romanian logo, that is the small red dot in the center. They are glued to cardboard backing. I have a good supply of cardboard stock that I can build from if I need to. It is very nice as it is nearly the same depth as the die cut counters, so it looks real.
11-10-2012, 01:15 PM,
Cool! Smile
11-10-2012, 01:19 PM,
Yeah, these can be a real help to mark out anything. Other things I have used them for are marking LOS, and ranges for kill zones for tanks. They were inspired from the the old "?" from the Squad Leader days. I would use those for any type of nationality markers.
11-10-2012, 06:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM by vince hughes.)
The Iron Line battles are plainly a series of epic battles. The Iron Line South I played with Wayne went down as one of my rare ratings classed as memorable '5' ratings. They are tough slogs and I know the 'South' one took Wayne and I 5 sessions. Excellent scenarios ! I think you are in for a real roller-coaster experience with that one and will probably suffer and enjoy emotions ranging from exasperation to glee :-)

For extra counters (like when I made the Volksgrenadiers) I have simply downloaded any DIY counters and stuck them to 'excess' PG counters... either to the surfeit of marker counters or in the VG's case, German wagon counters so as to get the grey backing assured for any cut outs that come up marginally short.
11-11-2012, 08:24 AM,
    Here is an old picture of the Sart-Ernage farm (hex 32 0406) seen from 0407.
French forces are - 1st bat of 110e RI (map 31) - and - I/ 7 RTM and elements of I / 2e RTM - (map 32).
Truly an epic battle !
11-11-2012, 08:25 AM,
    And the sunken railway line.