Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
low Saipan sales numbers...
11-06-2012, 11:03 AM,
low Saipan sales numbers...
Despite Jay's breathless advertising, the first new* boxed PG game in ages is selling what, 300 copies, out of the gate?

Those are desktop publishing scale numbers. This doesn't bode well for the future of PG, lads.

Is it because of AP's history?
Is it because of the theater?
Is it because of external issues like the economy or robots on Mars?

I hesitate to compare PG to other series, but sometimes it can be useful. Could you imagine a 300 copy run of ASL anything? They could sell more than 300 farts in boxes. Rolleyes

* - as opposed to long promised and somewhat resented
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-06-2012, 01:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2012, 01:10 PM by Hugmenot.)
RE: low Saipan sales numbers...
Mitigating factors:

1. No advertisement in specialized magazines
2. No sales to retailers
3. Very short production cycle
4. AP's recent history

I believe 300 sales in a very short cycle is not bad at all when you consider how many months/years it takes for many of the well advertised P500 GMT offerings to reach 500 pre-orders.

Avalanche Press is rebuilding its image and successes like this one will help boost consumer and retailer confidence. The sales figures will go up once AP start selling to retailers again.
11-06-2012, 02:34 PM,
I don't know why others didn't order, but is what interdicted my order.

1. (As Daniel suggested) AP's recent history. Mostly in the customer support and dialog areas.
2. After France 40 and Kursk, I've had my fill of pre-orders in any guise.
3. Laser cut counters are still ugly. Though improved, they are not ready for primetime.
4. I have all but 4 of the games anyway, I can wait.
5. Things like that 10 point USMC INF gave me pause as to the systemic value.
6. I have more interesting things to do than dealing with AP's proofreading errors.
11-06-2012, 03:13 PM,
Today, on a lark, I emailed Mike and offered to make him a lovely VASSAL module for Saipan in 7 days or less if only he sent me the printing proofs. Wouldn't that be nice? Realtime online play with hidden unit functionality right out of the gate! One can dream... I hope he sees the wisdom in the offer...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-06-2012, 07:34 PM,
I know at least 2,748 people that told me they didn't buy it because it had Jay's name on it ? Although that is only a small sample number relative to the World, there might be something in it ????

On a serious note:

I have read a whole lot of people online stating they would NOT buy anything from AP[L until whichever one of their outstanding past pre-orders has appeared. There are still a lot of games that AP are owing for. Also, add to that (taling of sample numbers), that those we see on the net are a small number of total wargamers, there must be however many times more outside of www. that are feeling/doing just the same before they ever buy off APL ever again
11-06-2012, 09:51 PM,
Just to echo the thoughts about APL reputation is pretty bad, especially with retailers. I have talked with 5 shops that say they are staying away from the APL stuff as it is not selling. The market is down, but APL's issues have turned many off.
11-06-2012, 11:51 PM,
That Saipan is being published this year at all is the result of KSF's failure to catch fire.

It was hoped that KSF would cause the PG line to catch fire once again, and enough product would move to enable AVP to produce a die-cut Sword of David release. Dr. B. has stated that the sales were disappointing.....almost all the faithful had ordered the game in the last 6 years and players who had drifted away didn't come back. With the new micro office-warehouse, only a limited number of black silk boxes can be kept in inventory, The boxes made available for Remember the Maine and then Saipan were released from reserve for anticipated orders for KSF that never materialized.
Unlike KSF, Saipan is bringing in new money into the coffers. Hopefully enough new money (along with perhaps at least 6 additional new PG books with counters currently in the wings) to finance a retail press run. My local gamestore, the Last Grenadier in Burbank Ca, opened on September 4th, 1976. I had to either be there or at my wedding that day, turns out. Two years ago they told me that they weren't sure Avalanche was in business anymore.....
Avalanche needs a retail presence before it can start gaining financial strength. The many announcements of games back in stock at the website is evidence that Avalanche is making itself viable to whole-sale distributors once again. But it's still a long way to Picadilly............
11-07-2012, 12:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-07-2012, 12:48 AM by Poor Yorek.)
(11-06-2012, 11:03 AM)Shad Wrote: Is it because of AP's history?
Is it because of the theater?
Is it because of external issues like the economy or robots on Mars?

* - as opposed to long promised and somewhat resented

1. Check (including attitude)
2. Sorry, Jay, but absolutely no interest in Pacific Theatre land combat.
3. Nope, see #1

I have purchased neither Lehr nor Patton and also canceled my Kursk order for reason #1. Larry, some folks didn't "drift" away, they served APL divorce papers.
11-07-2012, 01:00 AM,
(11-06-2012, 11:51 PM)larry marak Wrote: . But it's still a long way to Picadilly............

Tipperary !

(Goodbye Picadilly, farewell Leicester Square)

Song is being sung by somebody in London before going to see his girl in Oi-land
11-07-2012, 01:51 AM,
My apologies, I'm an eighth Welsh, but not one bit English.