Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Printable Magnet Sheets? (PROJECT COMPLETE!!!)
11-23-2012, 02:39 AM,
RE: Printable Magnet Sheets? (PROJECT COMPLETE!!!)
Let me voice my doubts about the validity of point 3 "I derive no satisfaction whatsoever from the assembly process". Nice job by-the-way.

I am uncertain whether the paper cutter would work well for the magnetic. The blade applies much more force on one side of the sheet and depending on the material used, results are so-so. For example, I used a paper cutter on dense foam sheets and I was not happy with the results.

One of my main interests in DYI projects is I can enlarge the components so that they are easy to read. As much as I like PG. I wish I could read all of the leaders' numbers without the help of a magnifying glass.
11-23-2012, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-23-2012, 08:42 AM by Shad.)
(11-23-2012, 02:39 AM)Hugmenot Wrote: I am uncertain whether the paper cutter would work well for the magnetic. The blade applies much more force on one side of the sheet and depending on the material used, results are so-so. For example, I used a paper cutter on dense foam sheets and I was not happy with the results.

That's a helpful observation. I think I will still try it if I ever do another set. As of this morning I have cut 3 out of my 4 sheets. That 1mm rubber is a real bitch. Perhaps the best way forwards is 0.5mil + paper cutter...
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
11-25-2012, 02:07 AM,
Are these too thick for a rotary cutter?
11-25-2012, 09:36 AM,
(11-25-2012, 02:07 AM)J6A Wrote: Are these too thick for a rotary cutter?

I've never used a rotary cutter but I'm having a hard time imagining it would be practical.

With the boxcutter blade I can cut out 2 rows of counters cleanly, the next 2 take more effort (and therefore are easier to screw up), and after that you're risking disaster. You need to pop off the end and use new blade segments regularly because the 1mm rubber just dulls it too quickly.

My backside counters look quite shitty compared to the frontside ones because by that point I just wanted to start playing. The 1mm feels great on the map, which makes me hesitant to drop down to 0.5mm, but cutting is a very real challenge.
11-26-2012, 01:19 AM,
I should probably have clarified that I'm not talking about a hand rotary cutter, instead something like this:

[Image: 12inchpapertrimmer.gif] [Image: s0513535_sc7?%24splssku%24]
11-26-2012, 01:34 AM,
Looks perfect provided there's a way to sharpen the blade from time to time.
11-26-2012, 04:21 PM,
There may be, or you can just buy replacement blades, which are probably easier and cheaper.
11-27-2012, 02:42 PM,
Shad- this set looks great!

One thing I am curious about is the adhesive and its potential to "bleed through" to the top of the counter. I mention this because I did a small project for DBA (the miniature game) where I created paper elements in order to try out different armies and stuck them to thin, vinyl self-adhesive tiles that I cut to the basing standards for the game. After about 2-3 weeks, the adhesive began to soak through and darkened the counters to uselessness. Not saying this will happen with the magnetic papers/rubber but it was something I came across in a similar project.
11-27-2012, 02:54 PM,
I am definitely curious about the long-term durability. Primarily just because paper is... paper. We'll see. I'll do a retrospective in a half-year or so to see how they're holding up!