Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Minor Upgrade] Toggle Designer Self Ratings
10-29-2012, 01:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-29-2012, 01:49 PM by Shad.)
Information  [Minor Upgrade] Toggle Designer Self Ratings
By popular demand you now have the ability to toggle designer self-ratings at the site-wide level.

In your My PG-HQ > Profile settings section there is a new table called Toggle Designer Self Ratings...

By default, you are viewing ALL ratings (including DSRs). By changing that to exclude, all ratings you view on the site will ignore DSRs. This affects the following areas:
  • all overall average ratings and vote counts for Library items
  • all scenario average ratings found on scenario lists
  • all average ratings in Search results
  • all average ratings on Statistics & Rankings page
  • designer average ratings on PG Humans page

It does not include the average rating listed in your game collection, but that's only because I forgot about it and will do it in a bit.

One outcome of excluding DSRs is "ghost plays" ... best witnessed on Nihon Silk. Currently, if you exclude DSRs and then expand the scenario list you will see that 9 of the 10 scenarios have no rating despite having been played. This is not an error, rather it is because you are excluding Jay Townsend's DSR.

The toggle is instantaneous and reversible, feel free to jump back and forth.

Questions or comments welcome below! Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-30-2012, 05:16 AM,
RE: [Minor Upgrade] Toggle Designer Self Ratings
Ok Andrew, does this only apply when I am doing AARs for my own games of do I have to mess with that botton for each situation? Does it still count towards games played overall?

Can I still just do AARs without ranking them?

Sorry if I don't get it 100% until I try to do one!
10-30-2012, 08:58 AM,
(10-30-2012, 05:16 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Ok Andrew, does this only apply when I am doing AARs for my own games of do I have to mess with that botton for each situation? Does it still count towards games played overall?

Can I still just do AARs without ranking them?

Sorry if I don't get it 100% until I try to do one!

I'll explain the actual mechanics of it, that should clear up your confusion.

In the database is a table called scenario_user_ratings.

Previously, it had 3 columns: scenarioID, userID, userRating.

Now it has one additional column: designer_self_rating.

That last column is a boolean variable. When a member records a new play the site asks itself if that member is the designer for the new play's game.

If he is not, designer_self_rating = 0.
If he is, d_s_r = 1.

Proceed as usual...

Now, we have a RatingBot that calculates ratings for all manner of things behind the scenes. I have doubled its workload - it now calculates ALL ratings (same as we always have), but then it runs again and calculates "non-DSR" ratings by ignoring any scenario_user_rating row that has a designer_self_rating = 1.

When you set that switch in your profile, you are telling the site which flavor of ratings you want to see. Both flavors are pre-calculated, both flavors are loaded, but we need to know which to show you.

That's how we can toggle it on and off at will if you want to, say, see how it affects game rankings.

Now, to answer your original questions specifically:

(10-30-2012, 05:16 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Ok Andrew, does this only apply when I am doing AARs for my own games of do I have to mess with that botton for each situation?

The button has no impact on AARs and ratings at all. It is just a way of viewing the site data. Like asking for the drink menu at a restaurant (all drinks) versus asking for the wine list (only wine).

Quote:Does it still count towards games played overall?

Plays are completely unaffected. Game completion and everything else remains the same, this is purely for average ratings.

Quote:Can I still just do AARs without ranking them?

No, all recorded plays must be rated. This is for the good of the site. Allowing those who wish to show/hide is the best compromise.

Quote:Sorry if I don't get it 100% until I try to do one!

Flip it to exclude, load up the Nihon Silk page, then flip it to include, and reload Nihon Silk in a different window. The impact should be obvious. That's all it does - changes the rating calculation method for you (only you).
10-30-2012, 02:33 PM,
One more question! So if I rank a scenario not by me I mark include scenario rating button and if I rank one I designed I hit exclude scenario rating? So need to pay attention on my profile each time a rank a scenario to see which button is is marked?

No big deal, just asking. I think a non-rank sellection would have been easier, example: 1,2,3,4,5, N/A.
10-30-2012, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM by Shad.)
(10-30-2012, 02:33 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: One more question! So if I rank a scenario not by me I mark include scenario rating button and if I rank one I designed I hit exclude scenario rating? So need to pay attention on my profile each time a rank a scenario to see which button is is marked?

No big deal, just asking. I think a non-rank sellection would have been easier, example: 1,2,3,4,5, N/A.

You're still not grasping the functionality, so I will attempt to use an elaborate metaphor:

Imagine you have a vegetarian wife, I mean a full-on meat-is-murder-you-sick-bastard Vengeful Vegetarian wife. She only buys vegan-friendly stuff like tofu, granola, etc.

Your pantry has 2 doors that open outward, one on the left and one on the right.

Your crazy vege-nazi wife doesn't even want your disgusting meat-based products NEAR her veggie stuff, so she crams it all behind the right-side pantry door. Your stuff is on the left, the "dirty side" by her definition.

Now, when a friend comes to your house and says "let's have a snack, what's in the pantry?" you have a choice. You can:
  • A - throw open both doors and let him survey the entire pantry
  • B - throw open only one door and let him survey half the contents, doesn't matter which half but only half
On your profile, if you choose include then you are "throwing open both doors." If you choose exclude then you are throwing open "one door".

The contents of the pantry (your ratings) never change. You buy new stuff and stick it in there, your wife buys new stuff and sticks it in there. You rate scenarios, I rate scenarios. It all goes in just the same as before.

The only thing we've changed is adding doors to the pantry to hide certain items.

Hopefully my elaborate vege-nazi wife metaphor will help you understand, it certainly was fun to type. Big Grin

(10-30-2012, 02:33 PM)JayTownsend Wrote: One more question! So if I rank a scenario not by me I mark include scenario rating button and if I rank one I designed I hit exclude scenario rating? So need to pay attention on my profile each time a rank a scenario to see which button is is marked?

To answer this directly: the include/exclude button on your profile has absolutely nothing to do with you playing a scenario and rating it. They are wholly separate functions that do not rely on each other. Include/exclude only affects what you see, it does not affect what is. I'm not sure how else to phrase that.
10-30-2012, 03:00 PM,
Ok I got it Andrew! I am a slow learning or i was just trying to make it easy for you!? Smile
10-30-2012, 03:12 PM,
I think you just had your imagination set on it working a certain way, and rather than alter the mental conditions of your scenario you kept trying to make my words fit with your assumptions, and they wouldn't. Thus, confusion. Smile
10-31-2012, 08:16 AM,
The fact that I have multi jobs confuses my brain as well!
10-31-2012, 08:29 AM,
Sigh, I wish we had only two doors but with all the food allergies in the family, we're stuck with 4.
11-01-2012, 12:54 AM,
Ah, put two and two together, Shad lives in a vegan household and only commits murder while on business trips.

Darn shame, I like duck-feet slaw whenever I visit Peking.