Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[PG-HQ Dev Blog] Designer Ratings?
10-20-2012, 07:23 PM,
Shocked  [PG-HQ Dev Blog] Designer Ratings?
Troublemaker!

I'm working on adding game designers to our Library. I just finished manually loading all the BGG data into my test database... creating designer objects and matching designers to their games.

Then I got a naughty idea... why not compare the average ratings for their games?

According to BGG's data there have actually been 15 different PG designers over the years... many more than I would have been able to name off the top of my head!

Using at least 3 games as the cut-off criteria for designers who have had a large impact on PG, here are the unofficial* rating rankings... more or less:

Avg __ Designer __ Games
3.8 __ McNair __ 11
3.6 __ Perryman __ 16
3.6 __ Murray __ 5
3.3 __ Bennighof __ 43
3.2 __ Stafford __ 3
3.1 __ Knipple __ 12

* - these are quick and rather unfair calculations... McNair, for example, is getting a huge boost from Polish Steel and Siegfried Line which only have 15 total plays and whose average ratings are being weighted evenly against EFDx and its 600+ plays... mind the blood pressure, Vince!

Once I finish working on this little addition I will ensure that the ratings are properly, fairly calculated ... but I couldn't resist throwing out this tidbit for early discussion.

Isn't it interesting what sort of information is just sitting around out there waiting for us to pull together? Smile
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-20-2012, 09:45 PM,
RE: [PG-HQ Dev Blog] Designer Ratings?
(10-20-2012, 07:23 PM)Shad Wrote: Isn't it interesting what sort of information is just sitting around out there waiting for us to pull together? Smile

Oh, you mean stats ?
10-20-2012, 10:02 PM,
yesssssssssssssss
10-23-2012, 11:16 AM,
If you use 3 as the criteria, it takes out Townsend's 4.9 average. Smile
10-23-2012, 11:19 AM,
(10-23-2012, 11:16 AM)J6A Wrote: If you use 3 as the criteria, it takes out Townsend's 4.9 average. Smile

Angel
10-25-2012, 07:31 AM,
I rank them all excellent!

Walking on ege-shells here, must play it safe, in case I ever do a third design or more. Smile
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM,
I've set the minimum vote count at 50 in order to be ranked. You've got 12 right now, and it's only gonna get worse for you once I add the on/off switch for designer self-ratings. You should start a new thread called "Why everyone should play Saipan immediately!" Big Grin
10-27-2012, 01:04 AM,
Jay hasn't done that already?
No "minor" country left behind...
10-27-2012, 02:02 AM,
I will be happy to vote as soon as it shows up at my door. Tongue
2,500 years ago people worshiped cats. The cats have never forgotten this!
10-27-2012, 02:46 AM,
As will I. I took a look at the full set of map boards on the AP site and now I have to clean up the drool...
No "minor" country left behind...