Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian L. Knipple
10-20-2012, 06:14 PM,
Question  Brian L. Knipple
Is this guy still at AP? Is he even still alive? The last mention I can search up on CSW is a message on 2008/02/26 talking about "if he comes back some day".

On BGG he doesn't have a game credit* since Island of Death: Invasion of Malta, 1942 back in 2008.

I didn't get into PG until early '08, so if there was a kerfluffle I missed it.

Just curious, since I'm working on adding Designers to PG-HQ...

* - I am not giving him credit for Air3 or the mythic Red Desert.
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...
10-21-2012, 12:55 AM,
RE: Brian L. Knipple
You're looking into the tearful history of AP. Back when two infuriated designers stormed out of the Pacific Rim office (imagine the opening seen from the British new wave sf series The Prisoner) AP was Brian and Mike. Then they partnered up with Brien of Games USA and were Mike, Brian, and Brien. The company grew till profitability peaked, and then the fate of all small businesses and small rock bands began. As men get older they have greater expenses, housing, wives and children, and the group is no longer economically viable for the founders. First Brien left, then Brian, and Mike became principle owner (at considerable personal cost). The great recession occured, about 4 rounds of downsizing (currently they have so downsized that Mike is still assembling and shipping KSF pre-orders today) and that brings us up to the present.

All this just from consimworld posts and a little correspondence with Mike. Doug can certainly clear up any abiguities and downright mistakes here.
10-21-2012, 12:58 AM,
As I remember it, he and Mike are friends that started the AP Business but Brian had a career on the side that took him away from AP. He is still alive and kicking but I haven't emailed him in years, as I use to bug him and Mike when he was more involved with AP.
10-21-2012, 05:12 PM,
Was AP his only presence in wargames? Has he quit the creative side of the hobby entirely? Or is he off doing something elsewhere?
...came for the cardboard, stayed for the camaraderie...