Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you play?
10-20-2012, 12:29 PM,
RE: How do you play?
How do I play? Unfortunately, it's rarely.

We are table-top space limited, so games are usually 2 maps or less, low counter density and usually one night affairs. Almost always solo (only exceptions is when I can talk my son into a game). The biggest problem I have with playing solo is playing it fair. And since my experiences so far are solo, I'd not compare my strategic understanding of the game against anyone. In fact, coming up with strategies at the start is always the most difficult part of the game.

I am very grateful for the much-more-artful turn-tracks that are in the Boardgame Geek folders. They're so much more asthetically pleasing. I use beads to track the turns and initiative.

I store all the maps unfolded in a 12x17 pocket folder. Keeping them unfolded makes them lay very flat without plexiglass, but unfortunately now that I have the larger Beyond Normandy maps, that won't work for those. Not sure what I'll do about that.

For throwing dice, I typically use a plastic cup to shake the dice and then roll them into the top of a box of Malley's candy... the top is 4"x4", and isn't much different than a dice tray. This carries over to other games also... I don't like holding dice and I despise dice rolling across the game. I sometimes use the tiny dice, but more often use regular size dice.

I always have a drink nearby, but seldom snacks, especially anything greasy. I sometimes have music, but never have the TV on - too much of a distraction.
10-20-2012, 12:55 PM,
Dean, you're not alone in thinking that coming up with strategies at the start to be the most difficult part of the game. I am still struggling setting up good defensive positions on anything but small rural assault scenarios and I have already played 63 scenarios!

Two things that may be of interest to you.

Winter Soldiers contain several small 1-2 board scenarios that can be played with Elsenborn Ridge components only. I bought the download after I played 1 or 2 Elsenborn Ridge scenarios as I wanted even shorter scenarios to learn the system. It was money well spent.

Skype matches are typically smaller scenarios as they take longer to play than ftf or solo. The thing is I (and I suspect most other players) write the locations of every unit after a session and put the components away until the next session (which can be one or two weeks away). Playing via Skype was much easier than I expected and it's fun to battle wits against someone who you know through PG-HQ!
10-21-2012, 02:32 PM,
How do I play?

..Mostly solo and skype, although I have been leaning toward skype much more as the challenge and fun is amplified when matching wits and strategy with a human player. I have setup a ftf game in November with John Legan, a fellow member of PG-HQ that is local so hopefully that will open up other opportunities. in short, the fact that I am actually playing a wargame rather than just looking at the rules, maps and counters and saying "Wow, that would be cool to play against somebody..." makes all the difference for me.

As to nuances and setup:

If solo, I usually browse through the books and setup a game and will try to develop a plan for both sides, however, if an opportunity comes up for me to try something, I am not afraid to do that. When playing skype, I will setup the map ahead of time and set the counters out for the upcoming battle to see what I am up against. I have played several skype games against Vince Hughes and one against Alan Sawyer, and I highly recommend it. I look forward to playing these gentlemen each time and hope to expand my list of opponents to play via Skype in the future.

I have either a card table for smaller scenarios or use our ping pong table for larger ones or for ones that I will leave setup (the blue table you see in my photo AARs is the ping pong area). I have been using plexiglass for most of the battles, however, on single map battles, I have started using foam board that is cut out to slightly bigger than a single map so that I can leave the map on it, and when I am done with a scenario for the night/day, I simply move the entire map on the foam board to a shelf in my office (I do occasionally work out of the house so I have the space). I just recently purchased a 3 by 2.5 foot piece of plexiglass that will easily fit a 4 GMU map as well as a Desert Rats single map and will continue to use those. Versus skype opponents, I will write down positions after the session and put the game away until the next session.

My counters are clipped and are stored by game with all utility markers stored in a separate tackle box. I use an oversized set of tweezers to move/remove counters on the map as I would cause more damage with my fingers than any bombardment would ever do. I also use the Assault oversized hexes for assault battles rather than putting a huge stack of counters on the map - much cleaner. Finally, I have my charts and rules (the annotated version, of course) in plastic "report" style slipcovers in a binder that I keep close by.

For dice rolls, I have a box that my Barnes and Noble first generation Nook came in that is just the right size for a dice tray. I like using smaller pip dice that are rounded on the edges rather than the linear, straight-edged dice. (Most would call these "Euro-dice"). Hamete takes care of all the Skype play.

Beverage of choice depends on the time of day. Solo is almost always played later in the evening after the kids are in bed so usually water or an ale (usually Samuel Adams but any beer other than the mass-produced ones work just as well). On Skype, when playing in the evening, definitely a beer or two, otherwise, when playing UK opponents, a morning start is almost always mandatory so at least 1-2 cups of black coffee. Usually I don't eat food around the game although I have been known to eat a pretzel or two while waiting for an opponent's activation...

I have been told that I tend to think out loud to myself while pondering my next move: "Hmmm, right, hmmm, yes, umm, right, now, ummm....".

In any event, I am glad to have found this site and game and have enjoyed, and will continue to enjoy, playing it, no matter the circumstance.