Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decapitation and Tank Units
10-08-2012, 01:22 AM,
Decapitation and Tank Units
Hi all,

Here's a thought that just crossed my mind as I was trying to finish Crossroads: Hunting Panthers (Yes - that's July SotM!) -

If the senior German commander is eliminated, does the decapitation rule apply to the Tank units? I know the rules are pretty clear that ALL friendly units within 3 hexes are unable to move for three turns; however, it just occurred to me how odd it is that the foot/cav leaders have absolutely NO affect on AFV units at all EXCEPT when it comes to decapitation!

Not a question to change the rules, just wondering how this one distinction was made for leader casualties.

Thanks,
Tony
10-08-2012, 01:25 AM,
RE: Decapitation and Tank Units
(10-08-2012, 01:22 AM)tlangston28 Wrote: Hi all,

Here's a thought that just crossed my mind as I was trying to finish Crossroads: Hunting Panthers (Yes - that's July SotM!) -

If the senior German commander is eliminated, does the decapitation rule apply to the Tank units? I know the rules are pretty clear that ALL friendly units within 3 hexes are unable to move for three turns; however, it just occurred to me how odd it is that the foot/cav leaders have absolutely NO affect on AFV units at all EXCEPT when it comes to decapitation!

Not a question to change the rules, just wondering how this one distinction was made for leader casualties.

Thanks,
Tony

Let me be clear about this as well: I understand the rule - I just found it funny that regular leaders can't order/activate tanks but decapitation can stop them in their tracks! Huh
10-08-2012, 03:01 AM,
Tony,

I play it that it DOES stop tank units as it says ALL, despite the the usual rules for leaders and tanks.
10-08-2012, 06:12 AM,
As do I. Decapitation immobilizes all units in range.
No "minor" country left behind...
10-08-2012, 10:25 AM,
Quote:Not a question to change the rules, just wondering how this one distinction was made for leader casualties.

Tony,

The way I visualize it is that the higher leader is the battlefield commander and has authority over all the mission objectives. Given his loss, now the second in command needs time to get in command of all the units. So, even the AFV's need to wait to see if the mission is still a go or there is a change.
10-08-2012, 02:29 PM,
(10-08-2012, 10:25 AM)campsawyer Wrote:
Quote:Not a question to change the rules, just wondering how this one distinction was made for leader casualties.

Tony,

The way I visualize it is that the higher leader is the battlefield commander and has authority over all the mission objectives. Given his loss, now the second in command needs time to get in command of all the units. So, even the AFV's need to wait to see if the mission is still a go or there is a change.

This makes sense to me. Vince/Matt: I play it the same way. It had just hit me as I was playing.