Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Panzer Lion
09-24-2012, 02:12 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012, 10:11 AM by Hugmenot.)
Panzer Lion
I completed the supplement earlier this week and wanted to make a few comments about the scenarios.

Best scenarios
05 - Clearing the Valley: A German mistake in the first 3 turns can result in a quick Soviet victory. The Soviets must consider the variable-turn German reinforcement if and when they make their break. I played this one multiple times but not always to conclusion. I rated it a "4" but it's strongest "4" I have ever awarded a scenario.

10 - Hill 192: A large scenario. One interesting thing about this scenario is the German attackers may not be able to just play it safe and aim for a minor victory. Lots of decision points and I enjoyed every one of the 15 hours I spent playing this scenario (I am a very slow player when playing solo).

Very enjoyable scenarios
03 - Facuti Town: The Soviets must decide whether to quickly get behind Facuti to prevent the German reinforcements from making it to town unscathed. That strategy is not without risk and I enjoyed the attacks and counter-attacks which resulted.

01 - Those Brave Boys: Blackcould6's AAR on Facebook is what inspired to play Panzer Lion. It's a large scenario and the German have to decide when and where to make a stand.

02 - Corntesi Town: I have a soft spot for this scenario as I used it as a learning tool to increase my understanding of how to deal with defensive reinforcements from an attacker's perspective. It's short, fun, but not entirely well-balanced.

07 - Back to Kalmu: It's a decent size scenario (20 turns, 140 units) in which the Germans must take over two well-defended Soviet positions if they want a major victory. The "if" is important because I believe it's possible for the Germans to play it safe and just aim for a minor victory.

Scenarios I rated as average
08 - A Profitable Diversion: A short urban assault scenario well-suited for Skype. Lucky German artillery fire eliminated some of the tension and thus my average rating.

06 - Kalmu - Hill 256: Luck played too much of a factor in my play. Other players rated it a "4".

09 - Reclaiming the Perimeter: The Soviets have options but I believe they will have a hard time preventing the Soviets from meeting their minor victory condition. It's still fun though as the Soviets can (and should) counter-attack at some point if they want a shot at a victory.

04 - Polieni Town: I liked it as a study but I have absolutely no clue how the Germans can win this one. Only recommended against a live opponent if someone wants to score an easy win against Herr Hughes.