Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saipan 1944
04-26-2014, 05:14 AM,
RE: Saipan 1944
(04-26-2014, 01:21 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: I hope those 4th edition rules show up soon!

Be careful what you wish for Big Grin
04-26-2014, 06:35 AM,
Ok, I wish I win the lotto Saturday night! Smile
04-26-2014, 09:05 AM,
(04-26-2014, 01:47 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: You should write an article on those Larry. Has to be the worst way to die however.

Actually I think that may be trumped by the death portrayed in the Ethiopean campaign writeup for Daily Content on April 1st of this year...
No "minor" country left behind...
04-26-2014, 01:59 PM,
Vince what was that supposed to mean? No something your not sharing?
04-26-2014, 04:56 PM,
Keith,

Not really, except that the 'optional' rules that will be included may well divide opinion and encourage a lot of discussion. I know it did with those involved as the group ranged from those that wanted some quite radical changes to those that wanted to stick mainly to what already exists.
04-26-2014, 06:01 PM,
Some of those optional rules have already been posted at the AP site in the past. Two of them that irk me are the logistics and extended assault ones. While those two optional rules could add a degree of realism to the game they would also slow down and complicate play a lot. The logistics rule, concerning keeping units supplied, is one that is used in a lot in other games but usually those are ones that are covering an entire battle or even war on a much larger scale than a platoon level or where turns are measured in 15 minute increments.

I think many of us, though not all, want core rule clarification or a better definition of existing rules. Without the PG HQ annotated rules or forum discussions the 3rd, and especially 2nd edition rules have led to a lot of guessing or assumption. I think Vince's concern is with how the vast multitude of optional rules will affect face-to-face matches as he rarely ever plays solitaire. The only solution I could think of is prior to play each player could pick one optional rule each to use but even then, with so many available, a cunning player could throw one in that would only really affect one side's chance of winning a particular scenario.

The one thing I like about PG is that it's not too complex and most of the time play easily flows along. However, I hope that 4th edition rules, both core and optional, are able satisfy both camps. Personally, I don't want new rules, just the broken or vague ones fixed.
04-27-2014, 11:57 AM,
Now that I have the new maps or Saipan, I needed to put them to use after buying them for a second time. I must say it was worth the investment. Now I can see the LOS's better than before, I must say there are some interesting one too. Some very narrow windows of fire with all the jungle terrain and makes for some close action fighting.

One item that seems a bit unlikely is all of the American Marine 10-1-2 or 10-2-1 leaders. I was able to get 4 of these super leaders in the draw as well as a host of X-1-1 leaders. This seems to give the Americans quite an impervious command structure.

But so far the battle is tight as the Americans need to dive into entrenchments and root out the Japanese.
06-21-2014, 01:00 AM,
Ok Saipan 1944 is finally back in stock and it now comes with the 4th edition rules and charts and lighter colored maps.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameSaipan.php
06-23-2014, 10:14 PM,
(06-21-2014, 01:00 AM)JayTownsend Wrote: Ok Saipan 1944 is finally back in stock and it now comes with the 4th edition rules and charts and lighter colored maps.

http://www.avalanchepress.com/gameSaipan.php

That is good for NEW customers who have not already purchased this game.
06-24-2014, 01:39 AM,
I know you guys prefer the lighter maps for Saipan 1944 but I still think the darker ones look far nicer! Liberation 1944 on the other hand are way too purple/dark for me.